Pretty new car with a horrible squelch

I vividly recall a very poorly-written test question on my written DL test, back in the '60s.
I can’t recall the exact wording of the multiple choice question and its answer choices, but it had to do with a low reading on one’s oil pressure gauge.

Of the four answer choices, none were absolutely correct, so after a lot of…dithering…I selected the one that said something along the lines of “you need to add oil to your engine”. Even at the age of 16 1/2, I knew that there was potentially a lot more involved with a low oil pressure reading than simply a low oil level, but I had to work with what I had, so I chose the overly simplistic, poorly-written answer–which turned out to be the desired response.

Spellcheck can hit people even in a car forum, we all make errors every now and then.

I failed one geometry test because all the questions were “is triangle A equal to triangle B?” and I would answer yes. Nobody asked me to prove they were equal!!

some of you suggested serpentine belt/tensioner/idler check.

How would a serpentine belt make a squeal/squelch/whine noise when the engine is off, and the manual transmission is in neutral?

Very talented belt?

1 Like

Have you checked the adjustment on your parking brakes?

1 Like

Ok, this noise occurs w/the engine off, and happens like if you are on a little hill and start coasting forward a little w/the engine off? It’s a squealing noise then? And you aren’t putting any pressure on the steering wheel at the time? Seems like it has to be something associated w/the rotating wheels. Lots of moving parts there is the problem. One idea to narrow it down a little, jack each wheel up one at a time and spin them by hand. Or ask an assistant to walk along side the vehicle and listen which wheel it is coming from.

I believe a brake inspection was recommended from the beginning before the unlikely suggestions were made (this car does not have a power steering belt).

1 Like

I agree, if it happens with the engine off I would start with the parking/E brake check. My Camry has rear drums and even when you park on the slightest incline, just getting in & out of the car causes the drums to make creaking noises.

CVT trans? They never make noise.

I saw brakes, I did not see parking brakes. Therefore, I made the specific recommendation. Lots of people check the brakes, few remove the disc and check the parking brakes.

Parking brake failures that generate noise on one year old cars are unheard of, customers burning up their brakes early in ownership are not.

True, but these symptoms in a one year old car are also unheard of unless the driver has made a mistake like driving away with the parking brake not fully released. Not an unheard of error.

It may very well be that the brakes are worn down. That would not surprise me. But until the problem is resolved, the more possible causes the OP has to work with is the better. We shouldn’t be discounting possibilities until the problem is fixed.

Nevada, I presume you already understand this, but when a poster here makes a suggestion different from yours, it doesn’t necessarily imply the poster doesn’t think your suggestion has merit. If fact they may think your suggestion is the most likely. The poster is just offering another idea for the OP to consider is all. That’s why the OP is posting here, right? To get some ideas? I don’t think the OP believes only the correct answer will be offered, since the OP understands nobody here has ever even seen their car. The OP is just seeking some more ideas.

It was Mountain bike that first suggested a brake problem, not myself. You can post a list of odd problems if you wish but I feel it causes confusion with the car owners and gives them much to worry about with their near new car. It is best to stick with reasonable possibilities, what failures do we see on 2015/2016 vehicles? For myself it is worn brakes and damaged tires.