Prepaid service / maintenance plan for Subaru Outback

Europe has different prices. But if you’re NOT in Europe, then which vehicle sold in the US requires Euro Full Synthetic oil?

We have well over 1 million miles on our last 5 vehicles and NEVER EVER had to replace and O2 sensor. I don’t think they get easily plugged up.

Since we are talking about the OP’s vehicle - it doesn’t use Euro Full Spec oil. But my point is still valid…The cost difference between full synthetic and conventional oil.

And if the vehicle does require Euro Full Synthetic then why was he even quoted price for conventional oil?

Mike, Sorry I confused you. I was trying to point out… you need to check pricing w/ the dealer before you can say $15. On my previous car, oil change was $40, $89 for synthetic. (It was during the whole synthetic hype, suckering people into it, when the car didn’t need it.)

Every modern Fiat turbo requires Euro spec oil, to the best of my knowledge. That includes Jeeps, though not sure about the discontinued Dart. I know people who run $5 synthetic oil in them, but there you go. Prices are dropping on the Euro spec, even in the 8 months I’ve owned it. I expect under $10 soon.

The O2 sensor did not fail. It did its job. It reported an error, which was the intake valve(s) not opening in their prescribed operational curve. This did not affect performance or mileage.

If you own a car released in the last few years, you will probably note cars are getting more sensitive, less polluting, and sensors are picking up stuff they’d previously ignored. It’s frustrating to an owner to receive an error, go into the shop, and the mech can’t point to something leaking or dangling these days. “There’s your problem.”

That’s my point. IF the vehicle can use regular dino oil then the price extra for Synthetic should be no more then $15. For vehicles that require the euro standard CAN’T use regular dino oil. For a dealer that sells vehicles that require the Euro standard AND vehicles that don’t will should have 3 different oil change costs.

Yes, I can understand it should be $15 bucks more, but shops will
get you in the door w/ a $25 change, then upsell the premium oils.
For the average Joe dino oil is fine, but I’ve seen synthetic cost
4 times the price. For the dude at home, the price is about the
same, so why not?

I agree with that. They’ll get you for what ever they can.

Just another reason why I do my own oil changes.

Yep… and the same reason I didn’t. I used dino oil and it was cheaper to catch a special than do it in my drive. That is changing in the last couple years, but I’d bought the lifetime oil change. $8 a change… hard to beat.

Just an update on a repeated topic of misinformation on maintenance plans. Franchise Maintenance plans are a benefit for the consumer as long as they are updating their cars at least every 6 years. Selective hearing or memory functions can not be controlled by anyone. In Subaru case. If you buy any of their Maintenance Plans You will get a $500.00 off your next Subaru purchase up to 6 years later. It is the first thing that you get in the mail after you drive away with your New Subaru. You can pick any plan you want the lowest being a 2 year plan for 589.00 which includes the 15k service. All this is explained in Detail at time of purchase. Now for simplicity sake I am going to stop here and let you do the math. 589.00 minus $500.00 = ??? for 2 years of Service including everything in the book.
If you plan on keeping your Subie forever do it yourself. You won’t have a use for the coupon. However everyone that thinks they know everything and just have to reply to everyone’s questions 99 % of you are wrong so why bother replying to something you don’t know for sure. Any Auto can be self maintained with receipts showing proper time and materials used. In Subaru case if you throw on a non check valve filter that saved you a buck and your motor goes, guess what Subaru is not going to pay the bill. Ford Diesels the same. If your a Farmer and have your maintenance schedule logs on a clip board and buy your oil and filters in bulk that doesn’t work for showing your time of service.

PS
Subaru 30k Maintenance can be anywhere from 495 to 695 depending on driving history.

I believe it is called the Moss-Magnassion Actw (the spelling is not right)

So the plan is worthless unless you use the dealer, and the refund is worthless unless you buy a Subaru. And I’d be real curious what the requirements are for using it.

I perform a lot of prepaid maintenance on vehicles, the manufacture pays about 40% less for these services so there is a profit while costing less for the consumer.

Most buyers are smart enough to find there way back to the dealer. There are some who trust their vehicle to a “good independent” only to have their HVAC recirculation door linkage broken while replacing the cabin air filter.

Maintenance at a dealer is almost DOUBLE what you can get the same maintenance for at a good independent. Service at a dealer is by far the most expensive way to maintain a vehicle.

You don’t have to do it yourself. Good independents still make it worth NOT going to the dealer and save a ton of money.

To say you’re saving money by getting a service plan is just plain WRONG.

One of my co-workers insisted (despite her husband’s objections) on getting a pre-paid maintenance plan when they bought a new Accord. Then, a little over one year later, when they moved to a rural area, they decided that they needed an AWD vehicle, and they traded the Accord in on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. They got no more than two services for their Accord from that pre-paid maintenance plan, and as a result, they lost money BIG time.

Again I am responding to the Original Subject of Subaru Maintenance plans. Not anything else.

For me, the important factor is convenience. My last two purchases at the Toyota dealership included free maintenance for the first two years or 24,000 miles. The dealer is about a mile and a half from my house. I have past the 24,000 mile mark, but I still have the servicing done at the dealer. When I owned an Uplander, the Chevrolet agency was even closer–about a half mile from my house. Both dealers’ prices were competitive with an independent shop I had been using. However, the independent got a new manager and the shop began to find things wrong that were o.k. Onr of the mechanics I liked at the independent shop is now employed by the Toyota dealership.
As far as the price for synthetic oil is concerned, I can buy 0W-20 full synthetic oil that meets the specifications for my 2017 Toyota Sienna at my local Rural King store for $2.79 a quart. It carries the house brand Harvest King label. Now that I am retired, I probably should do my own oil changes, but I am too old and too lazy. The last thirty years I was employed as a professor at a state university, there was a lot of pressure.to publish. The convenience of taking.my vehicles to the dealer and having them give me a ride to campus was worth the price.