Power steering stop leak experience

So I noticed spots on the drive, hoping for a bad oil filter gasket or something simple, as I had had the oil changed a couple of weeks ago.

Took it to the shop I normally use, they investigated, cleaned and degreased, tightened all the fitings filled power steering fluid resivour and suggested I keep an eye on the fluid and come back in a couple of weeks, and let them have a look, no charge for this!

So I am thinking after looking through previous posts on the subject, of trying tester, and also NAPA recommendation of Lucas power steering stop leak.

Has anyone experience on how long it might last besides the usual who knows weeks to years, or when it goes you will be stranded because the oring will turn to mush and blow out all the fluid at the most inopportune time.

Current leakage 5 to 6 drops everywhere I park.

Worst case new rack, best case new hose.

Don’t really want to trade the 2003 Trailblazer, 170k, well maintained, running great, and needed for towing a boat.

Leave it drip so they can find the leak or miracle in a bottle?

The son has a 95 Century where the R&P leaked.

He added the Lucas product and it stopped the leak.

It lasted for about three years and then the R&P had to be replaced.

Don’t think of these products as a permanent fix, but a temporary fix to see if you can get the last miles out of the vehicle without a major repair.

So, it’s got a new R&P, and he’s still driving the vehicle!

Tester

@Tester I am thinking let them find the leak, rack and pinion add the lucas and hope it holds up 3 years, see what blows up in the meantime, hose replace it and go on. Was it a blowout of strand me proportion or a new slow leak after the 3 years? Thanks!

I think your shop has the right idea. Take it back there in a couple weeks and let them see if they can spot where the leak is occurring. Often this kind of leak occurs where the hose from the pump meets up w/the rack, at that connector. When you turn the steering wheel, and especially when you turn it far enough so it meets the steering stop, like when parallel parking, that causes the hose to flex and move, and eventually that movement will cause it to start to leak at that connection.

ps was groaning, I put in a pint, 2 days later another pint, any ideas where it is going? cannot see any obvious leaks, a few drops on driver side.1 week 1 qt lost,

Take a close look at the bellows that cover the inner tie rod socket. I’ll bet you see a drop or two leaking there, from the driver’s side as you say. If the end seals on the rack are leaking they will leak into the bellows, quite a bit of fluid can be held in there.

thanks @asemaster Sounds like a new rack, dang wish it had screw down connections instead of o-rings.

Well take a look and verify before you condemn the rack. If the bellows look like the source but you’re still not sure make a pinhole and see how much fluid runs down your arm!

Not sure what you mean about screw-down connections or o-rings.

Well I had good luck on my old 86 Riviera. I don’t remember the details except I never had a leak after that and I owned it for a long time. I know I replaced the rack on it and I can’t remember if I ever put a new pump on it. I may have and it might have been a year or two after that that I started losing fluid. One bottle of the stop leak though and I never had a problem again for years. Don’t know where the leak was and I’m assuming the pump and rack were in pretty good shape otherwise. So bottom line, I think its worth a try.

I put in a pint, 2 days later another pint, any ideas where it is going?

Many times, it comes out as you drive and not much while parked.
Just squeezing both rack bellows can tell you if one is full of fluid.

Most power steering leaks result from high pressure and when moving at even 10 miles per hour their is very little pressure accumulating in the system. The high pressure results from steering when sitting still or moving very slowly in parking lots and the maximum pressure, up to 2,500 psi will occur when the wheel is turned fully to either side and held there.

The rack was fine, new lines to the tune of $800, 3.5 hrs labor, rusted out, welcome to the rust belt I guess!

Yikes, $800! I wonder what a new rack would have cost…

Glad I did not have to find out the cost of a rack, Both sets of lines had to be replaced, due to rust out , pretty good for an 03 he says, Even on the passenger side above the strut assembly I think I noticed rust and oozing. They go under a rubber clamp, a little leaking and rust there I saw but the big leak was down below whre the lines join, a common place for slush and salt to accumulate. Pretty incredible stunt to replace the circuitous route they take.

If you could see the car being assembled the circuitous route of the plumbing would make sense. Replacing the parts is totally outrageous on several cars and the Ford Taurus comes to mind. But again I am thankfull that road salt is not an issue for me. How do cars survive even through the length of their finance contract there?

Power steering stop leak works great for swelling seals in air rifles/pistols. I have never used it in a motor vehicle.