Possible diesel pick ups

Diesel is 30 cents more per gallon, and it doesn’t matter whether it is taxes or base price. All I care about is what I pay. The gasoline tax is 23.5 cents per gallon and 24.25 cents for diesel.

Why don’t you ask Ford to sell this in the US?
http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles/Ranger/Performanceandefficiencyhttp://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles/Ranger/Performanceandefficiency

Even at 30 cents more per gallon it still could be cheaper to buy a diesel vehicle.

I know for the Pathfinder that the as mileage difference is more the 30% increase in mpg. At 30 cents a gallon…the price difference is less then 10%…So it would be well financially worth buying the diesel over the gas engine.

In CA diesel is more expensive than premium unleaded

Mercedes has some pretty slick diesel cars now. 3l or 3.5l? 400lbs tq. Throw that motor in a f150. Would be a nice combo. Tell ford to buy/build a nice small diesel.

Chevy was thinking of a smaller 4.5 Dramax…haven’t kept up. I know everyone wants a small diesel in a compact truck. But, from my experience, they don’t save that much in fuel and overall costs when you use it mainly for commuting…then you’re better off with a smaller gas motor or a car. People are finding out that if you don’t use the torque of a diesel regularly, they aren’t worth the expense. This is more so today as gas motor economy has improved, especially in turbo charging in Fords which has improved the grunt factor of smaller motors for less cost then a diesel.

I would expect more hybrid electric boost could give you the torque you needed in modified truck hybrids in the future. I would rather we save diesel for long haul and not have a competition with it for low load use…which is nearly everyone else.
Real truck Diesels are better off in F250/350 then a 150 for those reasons. Maybe an MB car diesel would be different.

According to my part time boss and neighbors who have / had diesel trucks, the single biggest factor in blurring the difference between gas motors and diesels are the new transmissions…electronically controlled, they load sense to a point where gas motors do much better in every respect and though helping the diesel as well, has managed to keep it more a money difference then a performance difference.

First off,I wasn’t suggesting purchasing my friend’s 15 year old Dodge 3/4 ton. You are right about the Cummins engine sounding/smelling like a bus.My friend had essentially"slicks"on his truck[ and chains to back that up]when he commented about 30mpg on a trip to MT[4400 miles round trip].I am cautiously starting to look for a replacement for my 2000 Ranger 4x4 6cylinder,5speed.Being a 4x4,while helpful in sloppy weather or farm roads,doesn’t do much for mpg-esp. on hills.
I am debating/investigating whether a newer year full size pick up[±8 cylinder engine,or 4x4] will do any better mpg and be easier re parts??

The new 6-cyl half tons get good mileage and have decent power. Look at the F150 with the EcoBoost 6.

Even the mid size trucks will look large compared to a 2000 Ranger.