Help me decide on 3/4 ton truck

Guys I’m going to get right to the point.

I have grown up Ford. When I looked at f250’s last December the local dealers wouldn’t budge so I bought a Ram 2500 6.4 hemi.

Was a great truck but among some nickel and dime issues, I absolutely hated the MDS (cylinder deactivation) and ultimately a video breaking down why hemis have cam and lifter failures, and some friends having cam/lifter issues on their Chrysler products ultimately pushed me into selling it.

I ordered an f250 7.3 gas which is taking forever to come in due to covid. Will be a few more months likely.

As I research, I see that some ram 2500 cummins aren’t too far in price from the Ford 7.3 I ordered (no money down by the way) and come with the 100k power train warranty.

Some of the ford diesels are similarly priced with the 100k as well.

For me I don’t tow all the time, won’t push much past 10,000 lbs but I much prefer to have more than enough truck, the 3/4 ton trucks are way more stable towing anything compared to 1/2.
Plus I want crew cab long beds only.

Diesel is added maintenance costs.

I want to keep this truck for at least 10 years or more so I want it to last and not give me grief.

What’s your experience?

I have had three small block gas 1/2 ton GM trucks used to tow an almost 10K lb trailer 6 to 8 times a year from 120 to 1150 miles at a trip. I had to slow a bit going up the long hills but all performed well. All 3 were at or a little above the max towing capacity. l would get 8 mpg loaded and about 16 mpg highway unloaded.

I owned one 3/4 ton Suburban with a 7.4 liter big block that towed the same trailer. It didn’t slow up the long hills. Barely knew the trailer was there. Got 7 mpg loaded and 11 mpg highway unloaded, 9 mpg around town. I could not rationalize the fuel cost for towing to 8 times a year.

There are half ton trucks from any of the big 3 that will tow well more than 12,000 lbs with 4 door, long beds with low cost, long life, low maintenance gasoline engines.

You have to ask yourself, do you really need a 3/4 ton diesel to tow, or is this an image you want to project?

Edit… whoops, noticed you ordered a 7.3 gas. Looks like it will be a durable engine but only time will tell. Not sure what the mpg ratings are going to be.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve owned and towed with half tons. They’ll do it, but not as well. Not as stable. I want the 3/4 ton for the stability. I tow weekly but not heavy weight weekly.

Mainly looking for ram vs ford and gas and diesel

I really don’t know much about trucks and I’ve never owned a Ford, but from general observation around here, Ford seems to be the truck of choice. At least among those that are really put to work on a daily basis.

2 Likes

My dad and brother has a 2019 f250 with the 6.7 they love them I’ve pulled a 14000 lb camper and could barely tell anything was behind it and so far they have had no Trouble my dad has had 4 of the 6.7 all was very good I plan to get me one soon

1 Like