What pickup to buy?

I need to replace my 92 Chevy 3/4-ton with a ‘much’ newer truck. I still need a 3/4-ton for towing a 5th wheel around the country in my retirement, but don’t know which brand(s) to focus on and the pros and cons of gas vs diesel (Ive never had a diesel). Any suggestions welcome!

GMC still makes fine trucks, diesel provides more power, but if your current truck has met your needs diesel might not be needed. Caviot, the same size engine you have if still in production may not perform as well as your current one, due to new guidelines, you may want to upsize.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/102426/article.html

You should consider a diesel if you tow a heavy rig (5th wheel set up indicates a big trailer) long distances, fairly frequently. When towing you’ll get better mpg with a diesel and more torque which makes start ups and hill climbing easier.

Diesel power isn’t for everyone, but you should consider it given your application.

The OP needs to tow a 5th wheel trailer. Only ONE of the top ten picks will tow that trailer. I’d agree with that pick. You just can’t beat that 24 valve turbo charged Cummins. I know folks who report 16 to 20 MPG, even while towing.

NO OTHER pickup truck made the top ten. That should tell you something.

IMO, the best diesel/truck combo now is the Isuzu in the GMC/Chevy 3/4. The several I know, for plowing and towing are outstanding.
Cummins is a great motor but the only problem is that it comes in a Dodge.

That list is 6 years old. The Ram isn’t the top dog anymore in the 3/4-1 ton market. GM and Ford’s new 2011 diesels both outgun the cummins.

That seems to be the general consensus with the Dodge diesels. Maybe someone can persuade Cummins to switch over to Ford

@FoDaddy:
OP didn’t state if he was looking at new or used, plus I didn’t really check the date on that list before I posted it. And, if they are looking for used, the the Ford with the 7.3L Diesel engine would suit their needs as I’ve read that Ford’s been having some problems with the 6.8L in the newer generations.

General Motors has the best gasoline engine management systems and hence the best combination of power and fuel economy. Be realistic about how many miles a year you are going to drive to see if you will save money with a diesel. The diesel has advantages in torque and fuel economy but you can surely buy powerful enough gasoline engines. The gas engines are lighter, cheaper, easier starting, and ca be worked on more places. Unfortunately, because of GMs ergonomics, their vehicles just don’t fit me like the Fords and Dodges do.I am tall and very long legged. Drive them all and buy the one you like best, they are all fine trucks and much nicer than your 92.

I’ve always been a Mopar fan, so I may be biased. But the Redesigned Dodge trucks are pretty nice. And you can’t beat the Cummins diesel.

Thanks for the reply. My 92 has the 350 engine. I’ve been told that the current 6.0 is the equivalent; does GM make a bigger gas engine for their trucks? I’m leaning toward a diesel because of towing power and fuel economy when towing, and I’ve heard some good things about the Duramax as opposed to the Powerstroke, but the Cummins always gets the best reviews. I’ll be buying used, so I hope to avoid the “bad years” that each manufacturer seems to have.

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for the reply. My 92 has the 350 engine. I’ve been told that the current 6.0 is the equivalent; does GM make a bigger gas engine for their trucks? I’m leaning toward a diesel because of towing power and fuel economy when towing, and I’ve heard some good things about the Duramax as opposed to the Powerstroke, but the Cummins always gets the best reviews. I’ll be buying used, so I hope to avoid the “bad years” that each manufacturer seems to have.

Thanks for the reply. My 92 has the 350 engine. I’ve been told that the current 6.0 is the equivalent; does GM make a bigger gas engine for their trucks? I’m leaning toward a diesel because of towing power and fuel economy when towing, and I’ve heard some good things about the Duramax as opposed to the Powerstroke, but the Cummins always gets the best reviews. I’ll be buying used, so I hope to avoid the “bad years” that each manufacturer seems to have from time to time.

Thanks for the reply. My 92 has the 350 engine. I’ve been told that the current 6.0 is the equivalent; does GM make a bigger gas engine for their trucks? I’m leaning toward a diesel because of towing power and fuel economy when towing, and I’ve heard some good things about the Duramax as opposed to the Powerstroke, but the Cummins always gets the best reviews. I’ll be buying used, so I hope to avoid the “bad years” that each manufacturer seems to have from time to time.

I’m not sure if GM offers a 454 big-block any more. If you can get it, be prepared to get about 6-8 MPG when towing, and not much better when not towing. I think the 6-liter is the biggest gas motor you can get right now though. Truly though, if you are towing, you will get better performance and mileage out of a diesel, probably better longevity too.

The 6.8L is the gas V10. It’s pretty reliable, when I sold Fords, I had an F-350 4WD V10 as my demo. The 3-valve V10’s (2005-up) are beasts, they are not left wanting for power, though fuel economy isn’t great, but no gas powered 1 ton truck is going to be particuarly frugal at the pump.

Now the 6.0L Powerstroke diesel did have several problems, They never really got that engine right. The newer 6.4L Powerstroke had some intial teething problems, but they are pretty well sorted now. Ford’s new “Scorpion” 6.7L that is new for 2011 is an all-Ford design. After the 6.0L debacle and a Navistar/International’s unwillingness to pay for warranty repairs, Ford decided design and build their own diesel.

If I were towing maybe 3 or 4 times a year, I think I would stick with a gas engine. If I were towing more frequently I would go with a diesel. The diesel trucks tend to hold their value better, so the OP will have to shell out several thousand more for a diesel vs. a comparable gas powered truck.

The biggest gas engine you can get in GM 3/4-ton truck these days is the 6.0L V8. They offered an 8.1L big block from 2001 until about 2005 or 2006 I think. The 454’s last year was 2000.

ok, it was the 6.4L, I dunno why I was thinking the 6.8L was the diesel. Guy at work has an older F-250 2wd with the V10 and he says it hauls pretty good.

OK, I’ll show my ignorance – what does “OP” stand for?

OP = original poster. “Topic starter” if you will.
And, I was wrong again. The guy has just the 5.4L v8 in his 99 F-250 2wd, not the V10, though he did test the v10 out.