Possible diesel pick ups

In an earlier discussion I commented about replacing my 2000 Ranger 4x4[6cyl,5spd]. I’ve wondered about full size or [compact?] diesel pickups. A friend has a 15 year old Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 6 cylinder Cummings diesel with automattic transmission.I recall him commenting about getting 30 mpg on the highway. I also recall that the base price of that vehicle wasn’t cheap.
For limited farm use,plus highway driving [in cold climate] any observations/insights/experience with diesel pick ups? Any particular brand/mfger to choose-or- AVOID ?
Thanks.

Great motor and if it’s good shape a possible keeper. But frankly. I would just go for the best deal you can get in a 3/4 ton Ford or Chevy and not look for a specific model. You can get a better truck with a gas motor or the same price.

Since you seem inclined toward a compact pickup, I’d look at Toyotas. But I don’t think compact pickups with diesels are available in this country.

Sorry, I’m calling BS on the ‘30 mpg 3/4 ton diesel pickup’ line. Given the gassers would maybe get 12-14 mpg on a good day, I just doubt that 30 mpg was very common for the diesel version…

p.s. - when I look up reports mpgs on the Edmunds Ram forum, I see 15 - 20 mpg (max) for the diesel…

I don’t doubt it’s possible…The 30mpg was for the Ford Ranger. That’s NOT a big pickup.

Nissan makes a Diesel Pathfinder that’s sold in Europe and South America. The EXACT same vehicle as the gas Pathfinder…except it has a 4-cylinder turbo diesel.

Almost the same hp as the gas version…but about 50% MORE TORQUE…and gets 30mpg (the equivalent mpl (meters per liter). So 30mpg for a small pickup I think is very possible.

@MikeInNH - nope: “A friend has a 15 year old Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 6 cylinder Cummings diesel with automattic transmission.I recall him commenting about getting 30 mpg on the highway”

I’ve heard this tall tale before…

Going from a Ford Ranger V6 with a 5-speed to a 3/4 tom Dodge Cummins Deisel with automatic is quite a big step.

@lefty2 unless you’re towing a 5th wheel trailer with a yacht on it, I would avoid the diesel trucks.

You’ll pay considerably more upfront
You may not drive enough miles to "break even"
Diesel fuel is more expensive than premium unleaded, and not available everywhere
You’ll have to be extremely meticulous with your maintenance
You’ll have to change your oil and filter more often
You’ll spend more for your oil and filter
You’ll spend more for your air filter
The diesel particulate filter will need to be serviced
There’s other expensive items you’ll need to regularly service (fuel filter, fuel/water separator, etc.)

But if you actually need the torque, go for it.

Unles you have a definite need for the advantages of a diesel, it will cost you more to buy and at least as much to run. What ever mileage gained in a diesels off set by the difference in the cost of the fuel.
Again, just look for the best deal in the best truck deal you can find within acceptable parameters. I don’t believe many who will benefit from extracting money from me. If a diesel were the same price as a gas motor, it would be worth it or sure. But they are not.

Even though diesel is a lot more expensive than regular gasoline, you can still drive farther on a dollar of fuel. But diesels cost more initially and I understand that they cost more for maintenance. I would also get the gas version unless you need the torque a diesel offers.

“you can still drive farther on a dollar of fuel.” not necessarily…

“Unless you have a definite need for the advantages of a diesel,” my contention

That was my contention as a diesel is not automatically a $$$$ saver in driving farther per dollar then “any” gas motor. You need to be using the advantages of a diesel, otherwise, no savings. This is a big reason why Toyota has delayed diesels. They don’t make a 3/4 to one ton truck where the diesel shines. Half ton diesels they are finding, are not that advantages over smaller gas powered which are better suited for 1/2 ton trucks…the mileage is not that much different and the chassis of a 1/2 ton can not utilize the full diesel capabilities.

The diesel that Toyota offered in their pickup in the early 80s was barely adequate for freeway driving for even the most sedate “old timers.” The fuel mileage was reported to be near 30 mpg by the 2 customers who owned them and they were happy with the trucks. The same truck with the R22 gasoline engine could only get about 24 mpg. Those Toyota diesels were very reliable and required little maintenance.

Heck, the r22 was barely adequate either. Between those trucks and the B2300 Mazda I had, you developed tendinitis in the elbow rowing through the gears so much. I never want to o back to those, hard riding and pitifully slow tin cans. They were in a race to the bottom as far driving but they were a great size.

Unless this farm use involves something like heavy loaded stock trailers, 500 gallon water tanks and so on, you might be better off to just stick with a small gas rig.

Can’t say as I buy into that 30 MPG claim from your friend either.

The Cummins engine in the Dodge-Ram trucks is a real Diesel, running about 22 to 1 compression. When you drive one, well they are very “trucky” …The Fords and Chevy’s both use lower compression, 16 or 17 to one which makes for smoother, quieter operation but reduces their fuel mileage…

Even though diesel is a lot more expensive than regular gasoline

Where do you live that diesel is a LOT MORE EXPENSIVE. The Irving gas station about 5 miles from my house…diesel is selling for the same price as Mid-Octane. Was in NY this past weekend…it’s the same there (same price as the Mid-Octane).

About $0.40 a gallon more for diesel in Tx.

Around here, diesel fuel has been 30 to 60 or more cents a gallon compared to gasoline and it’s been that way for quite a few years.
Last time I checked the other day regular unleaded was 3.38 and diesel was 3.79.

The price differences may have to do with Tax. I know in MA…Diesel is taxed at a higher rate then gas. NH doesn’t. Not sure about NY.

Check with your dealer about the maintenance requirements and costs for a diesel pickup, and compare them with those for a gas engine. You may be quite surprised.
I would not expect 30 mpg for a diesel pickup. They are heavy-framed trucks and if you don’t need that kind of capacity you may want to buy what you need. Diesels are also exceptionally loud and annoying when they start up, especially in the cold, so good luck with your neighbors.