Possible cause of this paint issue?

Hi,

My girlfriend owns a 2011 Nissan Altima and just discovered a large area of flaking paint on the hood, and is wondering whether it might have been caused by the shop that performed the 60k service yesterday.

Here’s the sequence of events:

• She parks her car in an exposed driveway (partly under a tree) and as a result there was quite a bit of bird dropping on the car
  • On Monday afternoon she took her car to a full service car wash
  • On Tuesday morning she dropped her car off at a local service station for the 60k service. We picked it up in the evening
  • This morning when she went to drive her car she noticed the following issue (see attached photo)

So I guess the question is what could have caused this? She thinks it was something that the mechanic did, but I can’t imagine what. My theory is that the car wash did it when scrapping off bird droppings but I’m just guessing here.

She says it’s very noticeable while driving and is pretty certain that it just occurred recently.

Thanks for any insight.

Does she remove the bird droppings as soon as she sees them? Because bird droppings can eat through paint given enough time. Does she keep it waxed?

2 Likes

It is probably a paint delamination problem but inspect the under side of the hood to see if there was a fire.

1 Like

No, the bird droppings were there for a long time (months?), and other than going to this type of car wash a couple times a year she hasn’t done any waxing. They mention a couple wax types on the coupon but I’m not sure if that would even count:

In that case, there’s no way in ____ you can point the finger at the shop OR the car wash

I know from experience that bird droppings can very quickly damage paint and/or clear coat

So don’t bother trying to hold anybody else responsible

Are you serious? coupons towards a wax do nothing to protect the finish. They are coupons, not wax.

That’s called clear coat delamination.

This is where the clear coat separates from the base coat and starts to flake off.

You usually see this start on the hood because of the temperatures, and where a scratch occurs in the clear coat.

And you’ll usually see this on vehicles where waxing of the clear coat doesn’t occur on a regular basis.

Tester

Thank you for the responses.

So what the suggested way to deal with it? Is there a reasonably priced fix or at a minimum something that can be done to prevent further delamination?

Clear coat delamination is like rust.

Once it starts. There’s no stopping it.

Unless the vehicle is repainted.

Tester

If it’s only on the hood, you can have only the hood repainted, and then start taking care of the paint from here on out.

Why is your girlfriend worried about whether or not the mechanic made her car look bad when she left bird crap on it for months and therefore obviously doesn’t care about what it looks like? :wink:

5 Likes

she probably thought the paint was good enough to protect it against bird do.

I have the same impression. the next rain will probably take care of it, if not, I really don’t care. I do know that checking every day is not worth the time.

It would be easier/cheaper to get a hood from a junk yard that matches and start waxing that.

Besides. The repainted hood would never match.

Tester

If its not paint delamination, the only possible explanation is that a mechanic spilled some brake fluid on the paint.Brake fluid eats away paint like a paint stripper.

The paint damage is most likely unrelated to the service. There’s more areas where the paint appears to be damaged besides just where it has come completely off, look above the shadow of the hand. Commonly caused by too much sun exposure, parking in full sun for long periods of time, infrequent cleaning and waxing, etc. Repainting or replacing the hood is the way to go. It’s not going to look perfect showroom condition after a re-paint, but it will be much more presentable. I expect the car probably has other areas where the paint is damaged too, so inspect the roof, trunk lid in particular. If so, might as well re-paint those as well.

Going forward, four easy-to-do tasks that minimize this paint problem from happening again

• Park in the shade whenever possible
  • Rinse the dust and grime off with a spray from a garden hose once every week or two
  • A thorough washing once every month or two
  • Apply an easy-on type wax twice a year

https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_ylt=AwrE1xX5uEZbf5gApIZpCWVH;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?q=clear+coat+delamination&s_it=searchtabs&v_t=comsearch

Tester

Clear coat turns white when it fails and peels, that looks like the base coat in the picture. It is probably a replacement hood with poor paint.

Brake fluid would take a long time to damage the paint, doubtful anyone would pour brake fluid on the hood and leave it there all day.

That’s the original hood. She bought the car brand new.

The car is 7 years old!

In that time, did she ever wax the thing?

Tester

As I said above, she took it to the full service car wash about twice a year. They apply some kind of spray on wax.

Ergo.

The failing clear coat.

Tester