Possible Auto Tranny Noise/Problem

Have a 2001 Chevy Prizm/ Toyato Corolla.

Recently I have started to notice a “brushing” sound that comes from the location of the transmission. The noise occurs when I place the engine in gear, both drive and reverse. The noise usually occurs at light acceleration or when the brake is applied and the engine is turning against the brakes. The noise will cease, at high speeds or under heavy acceleration; or I just cannot hear it.

I have checked my fluid, it is the right colour and slightly overfilled when hot.

The car does not seem to have a loss of power, shift roughly, or search. Any ideas?

Motor/Transmission mounts??? How do they look??

transman

Not sure I have not looked at them, and it is dark at the time I writing this.

In addition, I can hear the noise at high speeds.
The noise is in relationship to how fast I am traveling, so it seems.
When I come to a stop and the car downshifts the noise will pause momentarily and then will make the noise quickly and gradually slow to a constant rhythm.
The noise almost seems to be a “spinning noise”.
Could a slipping clutch be the culprit?

I tried a stall test and RPM halts just under 2000, which attempting the same with my wife’s car (Nissan) it halted approx. at the same RPM.

I will provide a sound file when I look at the mounts in the morning.

Okay did a little more reading and research. Definitely sounds like it could be the mounts. It would be a slightly ‘easier’ fix given my current living arrangements as to removing the entire transaxle and dismantling it.

Okay looked at my mount, not an expert but the mount seems fairly stiff and doesn’t appear to vibrate when running in gear. Bad things is that the noise has grown louder and it definitely appears to be coming from the bell housing.

The attached file is the noise my car is making. It is idling, then in reverse, neutral and then drive. If it is the clutch however that would not be entirely surprising given it has 115K miles.

Damn I keep saying clutch, I mean torque converter, not to confuse anyone any more. Okay well in other news, in a trip out, the car died at a standing start. Now whenever I attempt to place the car in gear it lurches and dies. Damn this sucks. Haha.