Corolla transmission trouble?

I have a 97 corolla that has been making a noise on acceleration for about 6 months now. The noise is more pronounced when I turn while accelerating. It sounds like an engine noise that is about 50 times louder than a normal engine should sound (it is NOT a grinding sound). I took it to a mechanic who I don’t know and don’t know if I can trust and he told me that I need a new transmission. I was under the impression that if my transmission has been shot for 6 months, I would have had way more problems than this noise. I don’t know much about cars and I don’t want to spend a fortune on a problem that may not really exist. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is really worthy of a new transmission?

I would recommend getting a second opinion.
I would also recommend having a mechanic check to see if all the motor mounts on the car are in good shape.
If one or more were broken, you might hear a knock noise on acceleration.

BC.

If I may also offer a suggestion, don’t go 6 months driving a vehicle that is making an unusual noise that you don’t have positively identified. It could be a simple, but potentially dangerous problem that you might end up ignoring. Or it could be a simple, cheap problem that is now more expensive to fix.

A classic example might be synchro shafts on Tauruses. They make a distinct chirping sound when they start to wear. If you replace it when it starts making noise, you can get the repair done for $200 or so. If you wait, you’ll probably end up owing another $100 for a new cam sensor. And if you wait even longer, your timing won’t be right, you can be causing poor mileage, potentially even damage your exhaust system or your engine itself if the timing gets really bad. And let it go even longer, and it will seize your oil pump and take out your camshaft.

Not trying to get a lecture going here, but paying attention to noises and getting them looked at can save you a lot of trouble and money in the long run.
That bang and vibration that was just a cheap transmission mount might now mean a new transmission…

Thanks for the advice. I actually did get it checked out back in September by a mechanic that I knew and trusted (he has sadly closed his shop) and he found nothing wrong with it, which is adding to my skepticism that it’s a transmission problem. Admittedly, it has gotten worse over the past 6 months. The mechanic who has it now suggested flushing the transmission to buy me a few more months before I need a new one. Any ideas if this could help?

What kind of noise are you talking about? A whine, knocking, roar, clicking, rumble, grinding, etc.? Sound like one side or the other?

Hmm I can’t say I’ve noticed it coming from one side in particular. In terms of describing the noise, I guess it’s a roar…it sounds like a really loud, continuous vroom while accelerating. I don’t know how better to describe it. Thanks for all your help.

Replacing the transmission fluid 6 months ago might have been worth it, but I suspect it would be a waste of money now. Letting it go six months was likely a bad idea.