Possessed Jeep

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler with 33,000 miles on it. Occasionally, the windshield wipers and washers go on, and the horn blasts for no reason whether while driving or while stopped. The AC fan also stops running, and who knows what other electronics are affected? I can turn off the ignition and it still persists. Sometimes you can just walk up to the car and touch it and the show begins! At one point just the AC fan worked erratically too.

3 Jeep dealers in S. Texas cannot find anything wrong. My son installed extra lights directly to the battery, so I disconnected them but to no avail.

Help!!

Does your Jeep have a factory or aftermarket alarm system installed? Has your son “connected” anything else such as an aftermarket radio or cd player or speaker system?

My guess is the multi function switch or the spring contacts for the steering wheel.

Not that I’m aware of. Just the lights on the cowl.

When I was 17 I had a 69 Mustang that insisted on turning the headlights off and on while I was driving home from work late at night, most often when a state trooper was going the other way. I took a lot of sobriety tests. Yes I passed them.
I never did figure it out, even with my Dad’s help.
I have no idea what is wrong with your Jeep, and honestly, some of your problems are implausible.

Did this Jeep spend any time underwater during and/or after hurricane Katrina?

Begin by checking carefully all power and ground connections.

The wiper and AC systems may be controlled by a BCM module, which is basically a micoprocessor module. If they are then I would suspect the module having a fault. This would be an expensive repair if it isn’t under warranty. The horn trouble is most likely due to a problem in the steering column. The horn switch usually just makes a connection to ground to activate the horn. To make sure some of these troubles at least aren’t due to a bad ground connection it might be a good idea to clean the main chassis grounds under the hood.

That would be my guess as well. For some reason the use of the Body Control Module has been the preferred method of choice to handle many simplistic functions like wipers and whatnot.