Pontiac G8 is back in production

GM calls it the Chevrolet SS, but it’s the G8. Both are based on the Holden VF Commodore. I told ya they’d bring it back. Info here:

Reminds me of the late GTO. Not in styling but lack thereof. The ft cover is ugly and the limited view does not show much attitude that you would think the SS name would have.
But different angles and a different color (silver yawn) might reveal something else.

Is it true this design has been available in Australia for 8 years already? I just can’t bring myself to buy a Chevy. If they’d just put a Pontiac or Olds name on it , , ,

Hopefully people will realize what it is this time around and teach American car manufacturers to make more cars like it.

Since this is also the basis for the new Caprice police car, it should be around for quite a while.

The cops are going to be crying in their beer when they have to turn their Crown Vics in…

“I just can’t bring myself to buy a Chevy. If they’d just put a Pontiac or Olds name on it , , ,”

They did: Pontiac G8. You can buy one used for an attractive price. A 2009 GT comes with a 6L V8, gets about the same mileage as the 6-cyl, and is only about $18,000.

“Hopefully people will realize what it is this time around and teach American car manufacturers to make more cars like it.”

It was no secret, but the G8 was only on the market for 2 years before GM shut down Pontiac.

Here’s more information about the SS from Motor Trend:

2009 G8 GXP with 50,000 miles for about $21,000 or a new Chevy SS for around $38,000? Basically the same car; you decide. 4.5 seconds to 60? Quarter mile in 13 seconds? Family hauler? Yikes!

A relative owned a G8 for about a year before it was traded. The G8 brought only 1000 dollars less than the original purchase price. That, of course, was before it was known that Chevrolet would make available the same car as an SS. The car was designed in Australia with steering characteristics like a European car which I like. When you are driving at a steady speed down the freeway on a long trip, steering stability is the feature that you might want.

The ticket price in may be high like a Harley bike but in the longer view can be quite reasonable.