Plymouth Neon

I am trying to find out how to replace a torque converter clutch solenoid and the location of same on a 1999 Plymouth Neon that shows a code P0743. I would also like to know how to test it. The engine is a 2.0 liter dohc and the # on the transaxle pan is:573L2898. Thanks,

Bret

You should pick up a shop manual for the car, which will, generally, show you how to do this, including where it is located, how best to access it, how to trace the circuit via a wiring diagram, etc. You should be able to test it by applying 12V power to it once you have removed it. Try to get the Chrysler shop manual for the car (Google it). After market repair manuals are typically very poor, and other than giving you some basic (but often incomplete or wrong) exploded view diagrams, they are of little use. If you are going to do a lot of DIY repair on the vehicle, getting the manufacturer’s shop manual is a great investment.

Depending on where it is located, you might end up having to do quite a bit of work to access it (like removing a motor mount and tilting the engine, etc.). Depending on how ambitious you are, you might want to have this done by a mechanic, but it is clearly something you could do yourself with the right tools, a shop manual, and a lot of gumption.

Before tearing into the transmission to replace the TCC solenoid, try adding a half a can of this http://www.seafoamsales.com/trans-tune/index.html

If gum and varnish is preventing the solenoid from functioning, this product usually fixes the problem. Then, if this product works, it would be a good idea to have the transmission fluid exchanged to prevent the solenoid from sticking in the future from worn out tranny fluid.

Tester

Thanks for the quick response. I have a Chilton repair manual, but it has no mention of this part except the error code. Thanks again, Bret