OBD Code: P0743

I have a 1997 Dodge Avenger ES that reads code P0743 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid. I’ve replaced the transmission control module, and filter. I’ve called the Dodge dealership and asked if the new transmission control module needs to be programmed. The service department said “Possibly” I said “Well it’s shifting better than before. If there wasn’t any firmware on it what would it do?” He said “My guess it that the car wouldn’t shift.” I asked if the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid visible once you remove the filter. He said “I’m not sure.” Clearly, my car isn’t going there. Then asked to be transfer to the Parts department to see if there was a part called Torque converter clutch solenoid. That answer was “No” there isn’t a part listed called “Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid”.

My question to you guys is what should I do or try?

The reason they don’t list a torque converter clutch solenoid is because if any of the solenoids fail the entire solenoid/pressure switch assembly is replaced.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=446078&cc=1069860

This is mounted on the side of the transmission.

Tester

@Tester That’s also considered as the “Transmission Control Module” That’s the same part I replaced and call the Dodge sealship to see if it needs to be programmed. I even ordered it from RockAuto Parts. I could even give you a order number.

No. That’s the solenoid/pressure switch assembly.

This is the transmission control module.

http://store.allcomputerresources.com/1919191920do.html

Tester

Okay, I looked it up.

Whenever the transmission, transmission control module, solenoid assembly is replaced, or the valve body is disassemble, the TCM must be reprogrammed with a Quick-Learn procedure using a DRB or proper scan tool.

Tester

@Tester thanks, I will find another stealership to perform this task because i’m not sure where to get the DRB III tool from…

With that 18 year old car you want to find a transmission shop, not the dealer. Chances are there’s no one there old enough to know what needs done.

OP will probably need a dealership for the reprogramming task, as stuff like this often requires a specialized scan tool that the dealership will have, but at best only larger inde shops would have.

@pete peters
@GeorgeSanJose‌
I’m going to a stealership and get it reprogrammed.

Good Luck…