Please help me. My spare is screwed

Can someone please tell me how to fix this? I had a water bottle leak in my trunk and I didn’t realize it had gotten under the truck floor. Today I got a nail in my tire, but I couldn’t get my spare out because it would not fully unscrew. I think it might have rusted. It’s meant to be unscrewed by hand, but it does have a star shaped hole in the center for some tool I’m unfamiliar with. I think I remember seeing an ad for a tool that is basically a rubber strap that goes around whatever won’t unscrew, then you tighten it and use the handle to gain the leverage you need to get it undone. Does anyone know what that’s called? Or another solution to my problem? I sprayed some WD-40 on it to soak for a couple days, but I don’t know what tool to use. I can’t get a good grip on it and can’t get the leverage I need. Here is a link to a photo of the kind of spare I have: https://imgur.com/a/L29eXQk
Thanks for your help!!

These are made for oil filters, I don’t know, but it might work.
You will need a 1/2 inch socket extension to fit the tool. Then a standard 1/2 ratchet handle should provide all the leverage required.
Less than $10 at big box stores.
The hold down appears to be plastic. You may end up breaking it from the metal bolt underneath.
Good luck.

That’s a Torx fastener.

Tester

When I blew up the picture I could not see it. Thought the OP meant the plastic part. Using a Torx socket would be the correct way to remove it.

WD-40 is not a lubricant or penetrant. You need to try something like Deep Creep or PB Blaster.

1 Like

You might also try a Channellock plumber’s wrench if you don’t have the Torx socket. Use PB Blaster or similar, of course.

The plastic is so you can unscrew it with your hands - but if the bolt is rusted where it threads into its socket, you’ll need a torx or whatever the correct tool is for the metal head of the bolt. Get PB Blaster to the area below, where the rust is holding the bolt in place. It may help to hammer on the head of the bolt. If you try forcing the plastic counterclockwise, it might break loose from the bolt, so concentrate your force on the bolt itself. Good luck!

Thank all of you so much!!!

The kind of wrench you are talking about is called a strap wrench, and I don’t think it will work for you. Just buy a big pair if Channellocks and use that (12"or 15")

1 Like

Mine was carp, calles AAA, guy spent 1/2 hour getting the wheel down enough to remove it. Kind of like a 0 time use, put the tire with a nail in the sidewall on the roof rack, $200 to fix. Don’t need no stinkin spare was where I ended up.