Photo Red Light violation (6 photos and 12-second video)

Question is, do you feel safe allowing others to see your license plate number AND your face on the internet?

Question is, do you feel safe allowing others to see your license plate number AND your face on the internet?
License plate, no problem. Sorry about face.

My speed reading may be a failure, but my interpretation of posts is you will be forgiven, and after that I am clueless, please clarify. Thanks and you are less aggravating than a barkydog.

When I turn left on red, I stop completely and verify there are no cars coming. Did you make sure there were no cars coming? Looked kinda hard to tell.

I want to go on a blood run with you, looks exciting.

I think we need speed and red light cameras here, I really do. The drivers here are terrible.

The problem with fighting a red light or speed camera ticket is that getting a hold of the company involved and getting them to do anything is about as easy as getting warranty service or tech support for a brand you never heard of that you bought off ebay, and that shipped from Hong Kong. It’s just not in their best interest to care or help you.

The problem with fighting a red light or speed camera ticket is that getting a hold of the company involved
The company wants their 50% of the fine. How can one fight a ticket where photographs and video are clear evidence?

As I waited in court, every violator was found guilty and fined.
If they had failed to respond to the citation, the cost of being served was also added to their fine.

Now court is only Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. So that makes it more difficult to get to court - encouraging everyone to just pay the $75.
(My first two court appearances I scheduled on Friday mornings. After each I efficiently continued to a nearby trauma hospital for the monthly Friday meeting.) December’s court appearance was a waste of time and so will be the next one.

Huh, I wonder how the police handle it when their cars go through the intersection with lights flashing? Do they have to go to court too and prove they are law enforcement? Can’t be any human reviewing these things if you can clearly see the flashing emergency lights in the pictures.

Every violation is reviewed, I was told.
On the citation: Complaint Officer: D. WALLIS

The cameras have recorded funeral processions, ambulances, fire trucks and police vehicles, I am told.

... Did you make sure there were no cars coming? Looked kinda hard to tell.
Since we were right next to a hospital, I did not intend to sound the siren. I planned to cross after traffic had passed through their green signal. But my wife blared the siren and I saw that everyone came to a halt.
I want to go on a blood run with you, looks exciting.
It is. Must be fully aware and observant and so careful. I keep in mind all of the horrible things that can happen and drive accordingly.
I think we need speed and red light cameras here, I really do. The drivers here are terrible.
These photo red light cameras stop people from cheating. Driving in the the south, I was amazed at the drivers turning left who just kept going when their red left arrow illuminated. They took time from through-traffic which could not proceed because the line of left turn vehicles did not stop.
but my interpretation of posts is you will be forgiven
Each of the first four citations was "cancelled" by the photo enforcement unit (PEU) when I sent information: photocopy of emergencyehicle authorization, cell phone call record documenting hospital's number and time they called, number and time I called the police department "clearing" the EV through their jurisdiction.

The PEU refused to cancel Citations #5 and #6. They refused to tell me why, referring me to have my case heard in court if I did not want to pay the fines.
In court, each citation: “Case dismissed”
Citations #7, 8, 9, 10 were combined into one hearing. Each one “Case dismissed”.

Though I was in communication with the PEU by telephone, e-mail and mail, they had me served.
The costs of being served, totaling over $100, were to be added to my fines.

Since each case was dismissed, the PEU (taxpayers) paid for their needless service.

@bscar: “Question is, do you feel safe allowing others to see your license plate number AND your face on the internet?”

There is no presumption of privacy in public places. That is a long-settled issue. Additionally, the only people who can see those things on the internet are the ones who have the log-in information for the provided website.

I haven’t been in Cedar Rapids in a long time. But, I-380 comes from I-80 and runs out north from town.

And, as you go through town, it turns east over the river in a complex mess of entrance ramps and exits, then curves around north. It is not a straight shot through town. And, at times, traffic is very heavy. I cannot say that speed limit is excessively slow.

And, when it is icy, it can be an exciting trip.

Another exciting trip is I 65 through Indiana, had a bud stranded for 2 days this week in Indy, due to bad conditions, was there once, towing my 71 nova with a tow bar behind my 72 f150 pickup truck, going from ND to FL, I will tell you the blowing snow made the highway treacherous, and it was like trying to drive a cottonmouth (snake). Made it alive as you can tell.

@irlandes Yeah it is a little curvy and I’ve been through there when it was icey. A few of them didn’t make it but I just kept things steady and tried to keep a distance from folks.

@Barkydog I used to think that stretch going by Lafayette was one of the worst. Seemed like winter or summer there was always bad weather there.

“Red light cameras are simply a means for contractors to make money and for lazy police jurisdictions to avoid law enforcement. They have nothing to do with safety.”

I agree with Keith. The couple that lived behind us died in an accident. They turned left at an intersection and someone trying to beat the light ran a red light and hit them. If there had been a red light camera, the guy running the light may have stopped as it turned yellow rather than trying to beat the red.

Washington DC has 91 speed and red light cameras and they’re going to more than double that number.

I don’t know if DC is a good example to use for anything. They are one of the most crime ridden areas of the country with the least effective government and police force. I rest my case if they need to use cameras to enforce the laws.

JT, yes it is certainly terrible to lose life in a traffice crash but just a couple points. We were taught in drivers ed to not rely on the lights and to always check traffic to make sure the way is clear. That’s just defensive driving and we had an instance of it during behind the wheel. Secondly, don’t assume that if there was a camera at the intersection that the driver would have then stopped because of the camera. Obviously many people are not stopping at red lights as demonstrated by the camera tickets.

Yes its a problem, but how are the cameras changing the culture or the temperament of drivers? If it stopped the practice, it would no longer be profitable for the contractors-think about it.

I don’t understand what is so wrong with using cameras to enforce the law in public places. There is no presumption of privacy in public places. We’ve accepted automation of human tasks in just about every other aspect of our lives as a good thing because it is more efficient and raises human productivity.

It is unfortunate that folks are setting up red light camera systems in ways that allow private companies to profit. There has got to be a way to use these systems without creating a conflict of interest. The fact that people are setting up and administering these systems poorly is no reason to throw out the baby with the bath water. It can be done well, someone just has to reform how these systems are being installed and administered.

Yes, photo red light and photo speeding cameras free up police officers for more important tasks.
While an officer can ticket one violator at a time, the cameras can catch all.
And no vehicle pulled over creating a blockage on a busy arterial. ( Why do police officers not direct violators onto a side street or into a parking lot?) (Collisons have occured behind traffic stops.)

@Bing, this intersection has a hill approaching it. If someone is already speeding and puts his foot down to beat the light, you can get caught in the middle and not see them coming. And as @Whitey said, you have no presumption of privacy in a public place. There are security cameras in stores, malls, public squares and streets; why not at intersections too?