Perpetual Motion Machine...Has the Future arrived?

No idea, but forgot I even posted a video about the curious activity of super magnets from a computer hard drive in a video, and the video still works! I have played with the concept a little, but have not had the time to complete the project, but have gotten to a point of more push than pull in an attempt to get a positive energy gain by varying the angle of the magnets. If you care rerun, as if it can supply more push than pull could power the cars of the future.

1 Like

So did cold fusion.

Perpetual motion machines defy the law of physics. Science is science. Fake science is fake science.

I know from experience that a slant six will run for a long time with only the residual oil left after you drain the pan.

My son bought a Plymouth Duster from a shady used car dealer while I was on vacation. He drove the car for a year and a half before the engine seized. It had lousy gas mileage and power and overheated frequently. It died on an expressway near my house so we dragged it to my house with a tow chain rather than go the 20 miles to his house.

After my son in law and I changed the engine, I got curious about the old one so I drained the oil and pulled the pan. Every surface inside the engine was covered with black fluffy carbon and the oil pump gear was in pieces in the pan.

I asked my son how long the oil pressure light had been on and he said it had never come on. When I pulled the socket for the light, there was no bulb it it. I thought maybe oil splashing around when driving had kept the engine alive.

When I finally junked the Valiant I was using doe a work car because of terminal rust, I drained the oil and propped the throttle open to what sounded like 3000 rpm. An hour and a half later it ran out of gas.

However I am going to invest in that perpetual motion motor, as soon as I can get a good price for my Elio stock.

I just checked, and the Elio website has actually been updated, since the last time I looked, several months ago

It seems that if you pay to ā€œreserveā€ the always to be non-existent vehicle, you get a t-shirt and a bumper sticker :smirk:

Itā€™s amazing, that this farce has been allowed to continue for several years now

Theyā€™ve been late on their stated delivery times, but they have delivered.

Anyone who is unencumbered by the laws of physics can build an perpetual motion car with off-the shelf components. Just put a windmill on the roof of a Prius and you can charge the batteries as you drive. Voila!

Alas, the laws of physics are such a pesky constraint on my genius.

Sounds great, you should file a patent for your invention.

Any old timey blacksmith could tell you that you donā€™t have to ā€œmeltā€ steel in order for it to become weak enough to easily yield under a load. They donā€™t use the forge to melt the iron they are working, they are only heating it to the point where it can easily be shaped by a hammer and anvil.
So much for the ā€œjet fuel fire canā€™t melt steelā€ conspiracy theory.
Another thing, the thing used to make a particular shape in a piece of red hot iron as it is hammered into it is called a ā€œswageā€, so why donā€™t we call ā€œforgedā€ engine parts swaged engine parts? The ā€œforgeā€ is the fire pit that the blacksmith uses to heat the work up to swaging temperature.

Not according to what Iā€™ve read

According to what Iā€™ve read, nobody has received a production Elio yet

A few people have bought Elio prototypes, though, and they were found to be ā€œwantingā€

But the Elio doesnā€™t violate any laws of physics and it seems to me that they are earnestly trying to come out with a high mpg trike. Not all failures are outright fraud.

As a hobby Iā€™d been working on a perpetual motion powered car for several years. My sloped driveway leads to a sloped road that leads to a highway. I have several different routes that I can take to go to town.

I thought Iā€™d experiment with different routes and tried some that are a little out-of-the-way that I donā€™t ordinarily drive.

To my surprise I have found a way to get to town coasting downhill, without ever starting the carā€™s engine. I have a return route that allows me to coast all the way home the same way!

Now, I have abandoned my perpetual motion drive. Who needs it? :wink:

Now Iā€™ve turned my attention to a ā€œGlobal Warmingā€ powered car. I have found ways to wring every bit of the energy out of warm air. The test vehicle goes a little farther each year as the Earth warms more. Soon it will go forever, even uphill!
CSA

Yep, Elioā€™s looking pretty sketchy:

Still, the Elio is a plausible design and it looks like the people behind it may have simply underestimated the reality of the costs involved with taking a concept to a real car. They were not necessarily trying to rip people off.
The fact that gasoline went from $4+ a gallon down to around $2/gallon almost overnight didnā€™t help either.