Passat Alternator

Have an 02 Passat 4motion, 72k miles. new battery went dead, , jumped it and took it back to parts store. Battery was recharged, but alternator showed no output. Is there any other possible explanation short of replacing the alternator? (Upwards of $800?) There was no alt warning light on the dash even though it comes on when the ignition is turned on.

Electrical problems can be difficult to diagnose from a distance unless a person has an experience identical to yours. An alternator need not cost $800. You can get a new alternator for your Passat from PartsPlaceInc.com for $200. You will need to install it yourself or find some car crazy teenage kid to do it for you. If a failed alternator is not your problem, then you have a spare alternator for later and money left over for other attempts to repair the problem.

Thanks for the answer. I’ve checked out a Haynes manual on replacing it myself. The first line read, “Remove Front Bumper”. This sounds like a job for someone who knows what they’re doing. I’ve found a local shop who quoted me about half what a dealer would charge.