Bad alternator

the original battery on my daughter’s 03 altima was replaced after 1 yr,6 months. the replacement battery failed after 1 yr,2 months. the third battery lasted 1 yr,7 months. a charging system check showed that the alternator was behaving erratically. it was replaced at a cost of $640.05. i say that the alternator was defective from the day the car was bought and nisson should replace it and the cost of three batteries at no cost. make sense?

p.s. none of the failed batteries would take a charge.

you got screwed up and out! 640 for an alternator replacing! the most ive ever heard of is 300!

i also had a similar problem, clean your terminals, did the alternator fix it?

It makes sense. On a positive note, talk to your dealer, they might get Nissan to do a “goodwill” repair at no cost, or little costs. After the dealer, you could try the Nissan regional representative. You’ve nothing to lose by asking.

It may make sense, but it’s probably not going to happen.

This may be a good example of why an entire electrical system check (battery test, alt. test, starter load test, current draw test, etc.) should be done every time an electrical problem is encountered, no matter what the symptoms are.

You could try sending a politely worded letter explaining the situation to the Nissan regional office.
There’s always the one chance in a million they could go back and good will at least part of it. Not likely, but it’s worth a shot. The most they will do is say no.

only had the fourth battery for less than 2 months.won’t know for a year or more.

after you shut it off, turn the key and read the alternator displacement gauge, it should show your battery power

I just had mine replaced on an '02 Altima. The alternator itself is $400–I, too, thought that was outrageous–foreign parts are expensive, I guess. Total cost: $550

I just had mine replaced on an '02 Altima. The alternator itself is $400–I, too, thought that was outrageous–foreign parts are expensive, I guess. Total cost: $550

Who replaced it…the dealer??? I don’t find foreign parts prices to be any higher then domestic. I do find Dealer prices to be MUCH higher though.

It does make sense…now can you PROVE that it was the Alternator all this time?? And I’ll say you can’t PROVE it. Ask Nissan and maybe they’ll reimburse you…but I seriously doubt it.

Nope, my usual tech who is competitively (in a high rate area–Boston) priced.

if the 4th battery lasts two years with the new alternator, that’s proof enough for me.