Parts storage

At least it’s dry.

Isn’t that engine block supposed to be in the front of the car? Had one in my trunk for awhile so who am I to complain.

Is this what’s meant by a “mid engine car”? :smiley:

Gee at least put plastic down.

You’ve got to transport your problem engine to the machine shop somehow or another. Maybe the trunk was too small, or filled with golf clubs :wink:

That Takata Air Bag Has Met Its Match!
Boom! Take That You S.O.B. ! :neutral:
CSA

An SBC rates cab service.

I bought a '57 Chevy Bel-Air body about 30 years ago at a police auction. When I finally got it home and drilled out the trunk lock…I found a rebuilt engine in pieces safely tucked away. I was a “happy camper” with that car purchase. I miss that vehicle.

There needs to be a seat belt around that block. In a panic stop it could knock your “block” off!!

lol …

Doc’s post is pun-intended, but he’s made a very serious point. Loose objects as hard and heavy as an engine block unsecured in the back seat of the vehicle could easily become deadly in an accident. I strongly urge that the parts be secured with the seat belts.

@mountainbike. Yes, people just do not understand the force of an “unsecured” load in a collision. A few years ago, a man was killed by his … spare tire. The tire was loose in the trunk and when he collided head on, the tire flew through the backseat and decapitated him. His seat belt and air bag worked OK, according to the accident investigator. There is also a case of a person killed by his own large dog!

What did I miss?
Who Says This Car Is Being Driven Around With Parts In It?
“Parts Storage” is the title.

CSA

@Docnick

“the tire flew through the backseat”

Was the rear bench folded down?

Or did the tire literally tear THROUGH the rear seat?

@db4690. The rear seat was up, but with a folding rear seat that’s irrelevant; the anchors are quite flimsy. On some older cars with steel X bracing behind the rear seat the tire might have stayed in the trunk.

A spare tire is a terrible projectile!

Many years ago in Minnesota, two guys were four-wheeling in their 4X4s. One got stuck in the mud. His buddy connected a nylon tow strap to the rear of his truck and the “J-hook” on the frame of the stuck truck. He then flew forward as fast as he could to try to pull his buddy out of the mud. Unfortunately, the J-hook was only mounted (by the owner) with one bolt (the holes weren’t spaced properly for that vehicle). The nylon strap stretched, and the J-hook ripped free and went straight through the towing truck’s rear window, hitting the driver in the back of the head. I can’t remember for certain if he died or sustained severe brain damage (it was a long time ago), but the damage was very, very severe. The J-hook acted exactly like an unsecured object would in an accident. It carried its own inertia, separate from the vehicle’s. An unsecured hard object in a vehicle is very dangerous.

"An unsecured hard object in a vehicle is very dangerous. "
Not so much in a parked vehicle being used for “parts storage,” which was the title of this discussion. :wink:
CSA

You saw the word “parked” in the title? Really? Can you show me where?

And exactly how would that make a warning about the danger of a loose part in the back seat any less important?

@csa The only thing you know for sure is that the car was stopped when the picture was taken. The guy could have driven 100 miles to pick up that engine block.

@Docnick

@csa The only thing you know for sure is that the car was stopped when the picture was taken. The guy could have driven 100 miles to pick up that engine block.”

Correct, and actually I don’t know that it was stopped.
Why, have you got additional information?

It just seems that the intent of the discussion was to show “parts storage.” I transport items in my car with various amounts of securing the objects, and I store items in my Caravan when it’s parked for the long winter season.

However, this discussion wasn’t about safe transport methods or to encourage admonitions in that regard, especially when we don’t know the parts are transported in this way. Rather than going off-topic it would behoove some of you to start a new discussion about safely carrying objects in a vehicle. It could be called “Parts Transporting.”

I don’t particularly care if the parts are stationary or moving, but if you are concerned, perhaps @Cavell will return and let you know.

I was enjoying the picture and comments :smile: until the thread was taken off-topic and turned into some sort of safety campaign. Then, not so much. :neutral:
CSA