Securing a bunch of random crap in the trunk

Hey everybody,

I’m trying to figure out a way to keep extra engine oil, extra transmission fluid, a set of sockets and a ratchet, and perhaps my shop manual - all in the trunk of my car, without it sliding around and annoying the hell out of me.

My dad suggested a Milk crate, but i’m looking for a sexier solution. Are there aftermarket versions of those slick cargo nets that you can install yourself? Please and thanks.

jmw

A “sexier” solution for keeping stuff in the trunk? I chuckled at that. :slight_smile:

There’s probably aftermarket cargo nets and the like available for your particular make and model. A good place to start would be www.jcwhitney.com.

If you do end up with any kind of crate or bin, you could try using one of those gripper mats that are cut to size and used under small carpets. I’ve had good luck with those.

I have a rubber mat and all the miscellaneous stuff I carry in a lidded plastic box from Wal Mart sitting on the mat. The nice thing is that even if a bottle containing fluid leaks the plastic box contains the fluid.

Why do you need extra tranny fluid?

I bought a plastic bin with a lid that matches the car’s color. I also bought adhesive fabric squares and bonded them to the bottom of the bin. That stopped the bin from sliding.

I second the milk crate-- that’s what I use. It’s nice because you can use it as a stool while you’re futzing with stuff by the side of the road.

Just in case the thing springs a leak and im stuck out in the middle of BFE.

Thanks for all the fresh ideas!