Parts from the devil

5 Likes

Also battery cable clamp’s that are similar.

Yeah I finally bought that hose clamp plier in anticipation of doing hose changes but never used it. Those hog rings are worse though because they roll every time you get a grip on them.

I tried to buy some of those recently. Neither AutoZone nor the Boys of Pep had them. I bought the screw-type tubing clamps.

even if you have this tool?

Jesus clip

1 Like

Yeah I bought one of those tools but never used it. Think I paid $30 for it. Someone will buy it at my auction I suppose for $2.

Because if you drop it, and look for it, that’s the name you’ll be screaming :angry:

Actually I wear safety glasses, because they pop off into parts unknown while trying to put them on.

Safety glasses? I’ve tried that, but it didn’t work for me. They still popped off and went into parts unknown!

I usually just get a tight hold of the very top of the clip with needle-nose miniature Vise-grips and push the clip most of the way into position. Then I push on it while releasing the Vise-grips. That works better for me.
CSA

The safety glasses are not for putting on the clip, HA HA, my bad, they are to protect the one good eye I have. Now this guy suggests this approach, will try it next time

1 Like

That’s the way I put them back

2 Likes

Re: Jesus clips

Reminds me, I was fixing an old mechanical weight driven cuckcoo clock one time, and it had a clip like that, part of the clutch mechanism. This one was more like a pin tho, a very tiny pin. It flew off to who knows where. I looked and looked, for like 45 minutes crawling on my hands and knees, nothing. I only found it b/c I remembered I read a tip somewhere to put a women’s nylon stocking or other sheer material over the hose end of a shop vac and suck everything on the floor into that stocking. Such enough, 3 minutes later, there is was bright and shiny in the stocking.

2 Likes

I use vice-grips to remove the clamps imaged in Steve’s post, then replace them with worm-drives. While I’m certain the spring clamps are far faster for production lines to install, I don’t like them at all for repair installations.

If as Steve’s comic suggests, spring-type hose clamps were invented by the devil, I suspect worm drives were invented by the almighty in spite.

1 Like

Having owned a Honda CB350…I think the idea of using steel Phillip’s head screws, to hold two pieces of aluminum together, in a part exposed to the elements…was demonically-inspired.

If you own a vintage Honda bike, just go buy yourself an impact screwdriver NOW…you’ll need it before long!

The old VW air cooled Solex carburetors have a very tiny ball in them called a Jesus Ball; so called because Lord help you if you lose it. And I don’t remember the kits having a replacement.

The ball would often fall out and disappear instantly if someone wasn’t aware of it. Once reassembled the carb would never work right.

As for those clamps, they’re all over my Lincoln. I have the cable operated pliers and changing the thermostat is still a 2-3 hour job. Access is near impossible due to the proximity of the power steering pump and hoses.

When performing a cooling system repair on a vehicle with screw clamps I usually replace them with the original spring clamps. Spring clamps never need to be re-tightened and the hoses don’t leak, spring clamps are superior to screw clamps.

4 Likes

I’ve owned about 6 vintage Honda motorcycles (still have a 750). I still have my impact screw driver, too.

I’d remove the Phillips head screws one time. Then I’d head to a motorcycle shop where they stocked sets of socket head screws for the different models and buy a set. Those screws used Allen wrenches instead of a Phillips screw driver!
CSA

3 Likes

The added problem with Japanese bikes - the “Phillips” head screws are actually “JIS” (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws. Regular Phillips screwdrivers don’t fit tight, resulting in the need for the impact drivers (along with the corrosion, of course).

2 Likes

Very true. After fighting those screws (and the corrosion issue) with the impact driver, there are few things in life that were as enjoyably refreshing than turning an Allen wrench in the replacement screws and with a gentle twist, hearing a nice crisp “snap” as the screw loses its grip and turns! :slight_smile:
CSA

2 Likes