Parking lights

My parking lights will not turn off, even though the light switch AND the ignition key are both turned off. I had to pull the fuse to keep the battery from going dead.

Anyone know what is wrong?

I would start by testing the switch.

I know exactly what is wrong.
You are not familiar with the car’s controls !

On top of the plastic shroud surrounding the steering column, there is a small rocker switch. You can find the switch just below the speedometer/tachometer, on the steering column shroud. On the switch, there is a small icon that appears to be a “P”, with light rays emanating from it.

When this switch is in its “normal” position, the parking lights will go off when the headlight switch is turned off. When the switch is in its alternate position, the parking lights will stay on when the headlights are turned off. Someone apparently changed the position of the switch, perhaps while cleaning the car. This feature is for Subaru owners in some European countries where it is required that the parking lights stay illuminated while the car is parked.

Did you just buy this vehicle?
Did it come with an Owner’s Manual?
Have you ever read the Owner’s Manual?

Trust me–there are undoubtedly many other features that you should be aware of regarding your car, and you will only learn about them if you actually take the time to read the Owner’s Manual. If you don’t have a manual, buy one. E-bay is a good low-cost source.

Another one gets bit by the switch.

…or, we could say that another one fails to read the Owner’s Manual.

What a shame it is that people do not avail themselves of the vital information provided by a car manufacturer. Whether it is simple operation of a switch, or when to change the timing belt, or how much pressure to put in the tires, or even how often to change the oil, it appears that a large percentage of the public has transformed themselves into clueless individuals by simply failing to open the glove compartment and failing to read the booklets that are sitting inside the compartment.

Why in the world would someone want to waste time reading the instructions for keeping a $30,000-to-$40,000 purchase in working order? That’s crazy talk! :slight_smile:

Imagine my chagrin when I checked the steering column for the switch you pointed out and found out that this was my problem. What!!! Read the manual?!!! 'course not. It’s my wife’s car (I know - we all say that) so that is my excuse, and I’m sticking to it.

Thanks to all of you.

do they flash? it may not be your parking lights at all; it could be your cars alarm system, which won’t always beep. Try pulling the fuse for your automatic locks and putting the parking lights back in.

Please read the OP’s response to my post.
He did what I said to do, and his problem was resolved.
End of story.