Brake Lights and Turn Signal Lights On

I’ve got a 2000 Outback. When I shut the car off and take key out of the ignition, the brake lights and turn signal lights stay on. There’s also a factory car alarm in the car. Is this a fuse/relay problem or something more complex? Thank you

Are you sure that these are the brake lights and the signal lights, rather than the parking lights and the tail lights? I ask this question because the parking lights and tail lights will remain on when you turn off the ignition if a certain switch is activated.

The switch in question is a toggle switch on the top of the plastic cover that surrounds the steering column, underneath the speedometer and tachometer. Before you do anything else, check that this switch is in the “normal” position–that is with the switch facing toward the driver, not toward the front of the car.

Sometimes when people clean their car interior, they inadvertantly change the position of the switch. And, for some reason, many Subaru owners seem to be unaware of this switch that sits directly in their field of view.

If moving this switch does not resolve the problem, post back and we can all discuss some other possible fixes.

Wow. That’s exactly what it was. I was cleaning the car earlier in the week - never noticed that toggle switch and it was toward the front of the car. Flipped it back, car charging and lights are off now. Thanks for your help and time.

I’m glad that the solution was this simple.

Now, you need to read your Owner’s Manual. Since you were unaware of this switch on your steering column, let me assure you that there are many more important items that you need to familiarize yourself with, and the way to do that is by reading the manual.

If you don’t have a manual, you need to get one. E-bay is a good source for low-cost manuals, and it is possible that you may be able to download one from the SOA website.

Read that manual!