Owner Manual Scheduled Maintenance Confusion

2010 Kia Forte SX 2.4L I4 6 speed manual. Since my car is very near 30,000 miles I checked for any 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance. The chart gives 3 choices “I” INSPECT, “R” REPLACE, and “*” IF EQUIPED. The only thing requiring anything beyond inspection was oil and filter change which I have done at 5,000 miles and replacement of cabin air filter at 15,000 miles which I was already aware of. Here is my confusion: Drive shaft and boots INSPECT every 15,000 miles The Constant Velocity Joint boots are inspected for damage and/or leaks during every oil and filter change. For the first time I noticed a footnote preceded by a “-” Lubricate front driveshaft u-joint. Huh??? I checked Forte Forums and this was addressed by the OP with 4 comments. They all agreed on it being a misprint or for a different vehicle. One posted that his Wife’s 2008 Kia Sorento AWD had this requirement but her 2012 does not. I’m thinking the - may have been intended to be a * IF EQUIPED. Does anyone have ideas or knowledge concerning this?

Front driveshafts use CV joints, and are encased by a boot which holds the lubrication in, and keeps contaminants out. So you do not need to do anything to them unless the boot tears and pukes the grease (lubrication) all over, in which case you just replace the axle.

This is either a misprint, or whoever compiled the manual copy/pasted from the manual for a rear wheel drive such as the Genesis or Genesis Coupe without bothering to edit it to make it valid for your car.

Nake that 5 votes for a misprint.

Thanks. I’m not that familiar with CV joints as this is only my second FWD. I was pretty sure that “lubricate” would not be a scheduled maintenance procedure. A couple of the Forte Forums posters also suspected a copy/paste error.

Make mine another vote for a misprint.

In the way information, CV joints, Constant Velocity joints, are joints in the axles that allow them to bend to steer and to move through their suspension travel while still maintaining a constant torque on the drive wheels. The outer ones are designed to allow a large angle, the inner ones to allow some angle and to allow the axles to change length as the steering and suspension systems work. The attached link shows a basic description of the CV joints.

I agree. Not what I would call “drive shafts” or “forward drive shaft (singular)” Unless addressing one CV joint or axle on a FWD vehicle.

I wonder if they meant the steering shaft u joint.

Edit: steering column u joint.