Overheating Over 50

So I had my Head Gaskets, Radiator and Alternator replaced on a 1993 Toyota Truck by a shop in Waltham. 6 months later the Alternator goes and the Truck starts overheating when I drive over 50mph. The mechanic replaces the alternator but thinks the overheating is caused by a bad fan clutch. I think its the head gaskets or some junk or a bad radiator. The mechanic seems hell bent on not returning phone messages. Any insight on how to test for a bad fan clutch? Or bad radiator? If its the head gaskets it’s when I call a 800-SUE-ASOB.

I think you need to have the cooling system pressure tested and the radiator flow tested. A bad fan clutch would lead to overheating at low speeds, not high speeds.

If the guy won’t return your calls, it is time to take your car elsewhere.

I’ll probably have to go someplace else - I’d rather have the original mechanic who installed it fix it since it would be covered under warranty.

Appreciate the feedback

Have the vehicle checked out at another reputable shop…get an estimate as to the repairs. If the estimate validates that it was botched the 1st time, you have information to fall back on.

Go down to the shop…kindly…talk to him face to face about the matter.
If he continues to bulk about repairing it again…show him the estimate.

If further stonewalling takes place…get a blank letter head/stationary from your lawyer. Put it in writing why he should redo this repair on the borrowed letter head/stationary. See what happens…now this is extreme. I betting that when confronted in person & with other estimate…he’ll be more obliging.

I liked your answer but would start with the threat of a lawyer, since he may know how a real letter reads.

I agree with Waterboy. Law firm letterhead isn’t going to be enough if the letter is poorly written. Based on the original post, I don’t think the original poster can write a letter that looks like it came from a law firm.

No offense, b2bes2, but if you don’t know that car parts shouldn’t be capitalized, and that the conjunction of “it is” is “it’s”, you don’t have what it takes to draft a letter that looks like a legitimate letter from a law firm.

this ia a click and clack forum - pardon my lack of spell check and capitalization - appreciate the responses.