Overheating issue

ok so radiator was bad replaced it so was the temp sensor replaced that also still overheating noticed that the radiator i bought for 200 didn’t come with a cap talk about a rip off so went to use my old one and saw it was in poor condition i’m running out of idea’s and options its probably a stupid thought but in away makes sense to me after seeing the cap how a rubber seal which i cant only assume makes the radiator cap area airtight. Is it possible that if a radiator cap is in poor condition for my car to overheat? also did this blue liquid test for head gasket to be double sure and it stayed blue and didn’t turn yellow and from the instructions means the head gasket is fine assuming a read it right the instructions was poorly done

A bad radiator cap can indeed cause overheating.

I have never seen a radiator cap included with a new radiator.

1 Like

ok thank you i ordered one and you would think with how cheap they are they would just add the cap

By any chance do you have a code reader that displays the actual coolant temperature? With all you have done, I wonder if you have a bad temperature gauge.

Has the stalling problem from your original post improved?

umm idk if the temp gauge is bad the coolant gets to a boiling point when its in red and no my code ready isn’t that fancy

I’m just asking the question but if the upper hose is hot and the lower hose is cold, doesn’t that suggest a circulation problem? What is required for circulation? Water pump installed not backwards, thermostat, no blockage in engine, no air bubble.

The only time I have had a head gasket issue, the temp would spike and then back to normal. Usually spike at low RPM and then normal at high RPM as the air bubble was over-come. Loosening the radiator cap allowed the pressure to be released so I could get it to the shop.

When I finally dumped my diesel due to head gasket (after several times) the guy that took it (who worked on diesels) replaced the gaskets but was still having a problem and called me asking what to do. Like I said, how would I know, you’re the mechanic? I did relate though that another diesel shop said they had trouble with over-heating due to the radiators and had to replace them.

If you aren’t getting circulation though, the engine will overheat unless it is -20 out. It’s a big deal checking heads for flatness, cracks, etc. before re-installing, but if the test is negative, and not bubbles in the radiator, I’d look elsewhere. But what do I know?

you seem to know more then me i have tested and had tested all i could and everything checks out even the new radiator and when i burp it with new radiator it burps fine so now i’m to point where i think it might be the radiator cap being bad and letting air in like the cap is really bad when i saw it yesterday its breaking apart and the seals on it are cracked really bad maybe a piece of the cap feel into the old radiator and clogged it idk