Overhauling Vintage on TV?

The main reason I don’t like Graveyard Carz is the stupid boxing schtik the owner does.

A crate small block Chevy seems to be the perfect engine for every “overhaulin” effort on several programs.

And this reminds me again of “Billy the Exterminator” who drove an old beater Chevrolet long wheel base pickup the first season with the dash and floor board cluttered with coffee cups and fast food wrappers. The last time I saw Billy he was driving a newly detailed super cab Dodge with every bell and whistle available.

Yup . . . those were the antics I was referring to

Actually, the owner’s antics seem to be far worse . . . idiotic, come to think of it . . . versus his employees

On a positive note, the guy seems to be very skilled, and the trivia is also quite interesting

I agree, but I can’t get past the slapstick junk.

The worst one was the Boyd Coddington one. He would come on rarely and make you wonder how he ever made money. He may have had something wrong with him then. He couldn’t have become a legend without some talent. I am sorta sure that he has passed.

Yeah . . . Boyd Coddington passed away several years ago

I fully agree that Coddington was at least one of the worst.

The cars looked good; no doubt about that. However, mechanically I feel they all have some issues because no one in that shop seemed to have a clue what made an engine run or not leak.

In every episode they would always just drop a distributor straight in with no attempt to time it. Then there was mass confusion about why it would not start.
The worst was the Hemi with the magneto. After wasting a full day they had to call in a so-called “Hemi expert because none of us know how to wire a magneto”. Seriously. One lousy wire that goes to a kill switch and ground and they can’t figure that out???

Or the open bay roadster that kept puking anti-freeze all over. Everything on the engine plainly visible and after 2 days, 3 radiator and water pump R & Rs, and much frustration someone finally noticed the engine temp sensor was not screwed in all the way the side of the driver side cylinder head.
This sensor was plainly visible and no one could see coolant streaming from it…Sad, sad, sad.

Coddington also made a production out of unveiling Miss Belvedere; the Plymouth buried in the Tulsa time capsule in 1957.
A full special show devoted to that and anyone who watches the news here in OK and is mechanically minded knew it was toast weeks before when some county employees did a “sneak peek” to see what shape it was in.
They said it was 3-4 feet deep in decades old water so logic dictates any steel was rotted away.