Overdrive indicator light flashing on 2001 Mercury Mountaineer

I pulled over on a service stop off the highway today. When I departed, I mistakenly had the vehicle on 2nd gear (it’s automatic transmission with 1, 2, Drive and Overdrive). I was driving about 60miles/hr for about 2 miles before I noticed the O/D indicator blinking. I pulled over to the shoulder and put the car in park. I shut it off and turned it on. I made sure I had it in Over drive. The light was still blinking. At about 50miles/hr, I pressed on the O/D button and it went to Drive. I deselected and it went on to O/D. It seems to be shifting fine, but O/D indicator is still blinking. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this one?

Thanks,

Tim

When the Overdrive light is flashing, it indicates an electronic fault within the transmission or its controls. Failure to rectify an electronic fault promptly will frequently lead to expensive mechanical damage, so I would suggest that you have this looked into a.s.a.p.

Just in case you don’t believe me, take a look your Owner’s Manual (either the section on dashboard instruments or the section on the use of the transmission), which should state essentially the same information. In case you have never read this book previously, I can assure you that it is a wealth of information regarding the safe and economical operation of your vehicle.

Incidentally, don’t go to any chain operation (Lee Myles, AAMCO, Cottman, etc.) unless you want to pay for repairs that are unnecessary. Ask friends and family for referrals to independent transmission shops that have been in business for more than 2 years.

And–remember to read that Owner’s Manual.

To troubleshoot this problem, have the transmission control computer scanned for codes. The nature of the code will steer you in the right direction. It also may be that the code will be reset after a number of engine starts without the underlying fault occuring again. A savy technician can cancel the code with the scanner. If the code comes back again after further driving the underlying problem still exists. In any case the TCM computer has sensed a problem or may still be sensing a problem that needs to be corrected for its correct operation.

For our benefit, let us know what you find
Curious