Opinions on why my 2011 blower fan isn't working?

Hey, everyone. I’m learning different things as I go, so bare with me and hopefully give me the proper advice lol. Blower fan stopped working in my 2011 Altima, only 60,000 miles. I checked the fuses in the car and under the hood and all good. I’m unable to test the relay to it, so I just switched the one for the radio that I know works with the one to the blower. My battery also died and I’m getting a new one this week. So once I get power going, what if it wasn’t the issue either? I guess I can just look to verify my question to this, but do 2011 Altimas have resistors or not? I have seen people say they don’t believe so, that supposedly the speed is controlled by the body control module?? So should I next replace the resistor after making sure electricity is definitely traveling to the fan through the wires and that nothing was fried? Do you think it’s definitely the resistor or the fan for some odd reason is shot? Appreciate the help, I’d like to be able to feel heat again lol, thank you!

Turn the ignition switch on.

Set the blower speed to high.

Reach under the passenger side of the dash, and with handle of a screwdriver, rap on the blower motor.

If the blower starts working, replace the blower rmotor.

Tester

1 Like

I’ve read to do that to see if it’s the blower fan. Why does tapping it, possibly make it start working again? I’m assuming by getting power to it somehow. Do all vehicles have resistors or no? If the fan is shot already at 60,000, that’s pretty sad on Nissans part lol. Thank you

The bower motor has brushes that are pushed against the commutator by springs.

As the brushes wear away, they don’t contact with the commutator correctly, and the motor stops working…

Rapping on the motor jogs the brushed so that they contact the commutator correctly, and the motor starts working again.

But only for a short time.

Tester

1 Like

This is a family-friendly forum and we keep our clothes on! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

The blower resister is about $20, Worth throwing money at it my thought. Usually a fairly easy diy.

There is no resister in the blower circuit.

It’s all computer controlled.

Tester

1 Like

Guess just because it is available on the internet does not mean it is true. Searching 2011 altima blower resistor turned up many hits, but I would respect @Tester knowledge.

1 Like

it might have a blower motor control module. it acts sort of like the old resistors but uses a circuit board.

1 Like

As a general rule, if your HVAC is automatic, it is controlled by the body control module (BCM) or other controller. If it is manual, then is has a resistor pack.

An automatic system has a digital readout for the cabin temperature. Sometime two readouts, one for the passenger side and one for the driver side. A manual system will have the red/blue slider or sliders. It can also be a rotary knob but again with blue tapering down and red tapering up as you turn it clockwise.

The Net is a great source of information and you’re generally following the right path but before you jump to replacing the BCM or resistor, the first step is confirm that you’re getting power to the fan motor.
A cheap $10 meter and some time touching the probes to the fan motor connections will answer the question.