Only takes a second of inattention

Compensating for SOMEthing don’t you think?? :brain:

3 Likes

An accident is unexpected and unintended. A large percent are of course “human error”. Some are weather or mechanical failure. Unfortunately a small percentage are crashes that are intentional. Road rage, murder, suicide, terrorism.

‘It’s No Accident: Advocates Want to Speak of Car “Crashes” Instead’
Safety

‘It’s No Accident: Advocates Want to Speak of Car “Crashes” Instead’
Safety

RandomTroll

'Roadway fatalities are soaring at a rate not seen in 50 years, resulting from crashes, collisions and other incidents caused by drivers.
'Just don’t call them accidents anymore.
'That is the position of a growing number of safety advocates, including grass-roots groups, federal officials and state and local leaders across the country.

They are campaigning to change a 100-year-old mentality that they say trivializes the single most common cause of traffic incidents: human error.
’"When you use the word ‘accident,’ it’s like, ‘God made it happen,’ " Mark Rosekind, the head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,
said at a driver safety conference this month at the Harvard School of Public Health.’

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/23/science/its-no-accident-advocates-want-to-speak-of-car-crashes
Mark Rosekind head of NHTSA is an idiot. “God’s will” is from a religion other than Christian (Muslim). The NY times link is as dead as a dodo bird. I am school trained (experienced) and certified in Army aviation accident prevention/investigation. Where do these morons come from? NHTSA’s current mission is to make vehicles 100% safe with technology. I’m not ready for self driving vehicles.

I would argue that if you intentionally do ridiculously idiotic things, it’s not really an “accident” if bad things happen.

If I’m dumb enough to run full speed at a wall, fully intending to not get hurt when I slam into it, and then I slam into it and get hurt… That’s not an accident. That’s me being a moron.

If you’re dumb enough to race on the street, and get into thing-throwing matches with other drivers at-speed, and then you wreck out, that’s not an accident either, because you intentionally raced, you intentionally participated in the altercation, and it’s pretty bloody obvious what the likely result of such behaviors is.

It’s kinda like when people refer to Challenger as an accident. Well, NASA intentionally launched the shuttle despite knowing that the booster rockets leaked fire, and knowing the leak got worse in the cold, and knowing it was very cold on launch day, and knowing that the guys who designed the boosters told them “don’t launch.”

That’s not an accident. That’s wilful stupidity.

1 Like

But they (except for running into a wall) did not intend to crash and suffer injuries.

@wentwest, I was scrolling through the responses to see if someone else shared my pet peeve. Here in California, of all the cars on the road driven by crazy people, it’s been my experience that Prius drivers are the worst.

1 Like