Once again, you've given your listeners B-O-O-O-G-U-S information--this time about Rain-X

Huh, never used the stuff and didn’t hear the comments. Looks like a bunch of new posters. About a month ago, it was dark and I was 45 miles from home in the rain when my wipers quit. (Kind of a poor design on the G6 but that’s another story.) I really had no choice but to keep on driving. I was amazed at how well the water shed from the windshield so it really wasn’t a problem to see at all. Can’t see where Rainex would do any better than the plain ole glass and wind action. Just my experience.

I not only use Rain-X on my windshield, I also use it on my headlight lenses to restore them. I have had issues applying it, but only when I haven’t cleaned the windshield thoroughly first, and usually, a second application solves the problem. I know the container has a warning about using the stuff on plastic, but it’s worked just fine on my Civic headlights.

I first discovered this product in 1997 when my car’s windshield wipers stopped working on my 1985 Buick Skyhawk. I eventually fixed the windshield wipers by replacing the motor, but using Rain-X got me through until I could get around to it.

I not only like how it helps me see better in the rain, but I also like how when it is on my windshield, I can use the wipers at a slower speed than I otherwise would.

@Whitey Senior Grease Monkey

Speaking about a use for it other than its original intent, I use it to fill scratches in rental DVDs. If a DVD is so scratched that it won’t play, I wipe it clean with alcohol, and apply a good coating of Rain-X, rubbing it in and going over it a few times until it starts to dry out, and buffing it until it is squeaky clean literally. This works like a charm. The scratches are filled in with clear plastic.

RainX works until you run the wipers, which seems to scrape it away; until you have to use wiper fluid which seems to dissolve it. It’s junk, but it was the first and Walmart and store always have a big display of it some people flock to it.

The stuff I liked, but unfortunately isn’t around anymore, was “VisionBlade” by STP. It sounds a lot like the Aquapel. It came in an applicator that looked like a wiper blade, you squeezed it to break the vial inside and then dragged the soaked applicator over your glass. It bonded with the glass and last 6 months regardless of how much the wipers were used or what you had in the fluid reservior.

Pro’s C-27 Q Glass Polish works much better. It makes water slide off the glass, and stays on for weeks, even after using the wipers or wiper fluid. Wear a glove, as it’s pink and you’re hands will look like you’ve been cracking open pistachios at the bar for the entire weekend. It’s about $15 - $20 at the pro car refinishing store, but a little bit goes a long way, goes on easy, hazes almost instantly, wipes off easy. It lasts longer that the next rain, and your windows will be clean and feel like smooth and slick.

I always carried a bottle of Rain-X in my bag when I drove truck, I didn’t pre-apply it with most companies I worked for becaused I usually got a different tractor every trip, sometimes every leg of every trip. If you lost a wiper blade or the wipers quit working it would let you finish the trip.

Mr Oldtimer, may I ask why you are replying to a 4 year old thread ? I was hoping the new system would automatically close inactive threads after 90 days.

1 Like

I suspect all threads in the new system are new as far as the system is concerned.

Well, first of all, that would probably close most threads. What’s wrong with leaving old threads open. As the OP originator, I’m always glad to see people are still interested in the topic. Besides, I’m still waiting for Ray’s retraction. LOL!

So you put the concentrate directly onto a dirty windshield? Or did you use the orange washer fluid in the gallon jug?

Maybe. Who would start any new threads about past shows?

Yes, I put it on a dirty windshield that was already wet, dried it with paper towels while parked under an underpass. The idea is not to get a perfect job, but to see well enough to complete trip. At end of trip write up the tractor for wioer repair.

I used the rainex for a while, seemed to work well enough, but got lazy and started having oil change and top off fluid, so no more rainex, do not miss it enough to care.

That’s an unusual way to use it but if it works, that’s great.

Yeah, it was always a lot of work to apply correctly and it did wear off, so I would let it lapse. Those drive-through pressure-washer car wash booths put a similar coating on the entire car so it isn’t much of an issue any more. The washer fluid is nice though. It renews whatever is on there.

I only used it for emergency use if my wipers broke, which happens more
often than you would think on large trucks with air wipers. I also carry it
in my car just in case and had to use it a few years ago when the 28"
RainX wiper blade on my Chrysler minivan broke 100 miles from home on a
Sunday night.

I question whether it’s even necessary. I keep good blades on my wipers, keep my windshield clean, and have great visibility in even heavy rain. The real problem is that people keep their same wiper blades on indefinitely, then when they no longer work they look for a “magic pill” solution like Rain-X to compensate.

Keeping good blades on and keeping the windshield clean has worked for me for 45++ years. I contend that it’s all that’s necessary.

I keep a clean windshield and good blades too, but RainX properly applied still greatly improves visibility, especially on the windows and mirrors that don’t have wipers.

You apparently haven’t tried it and I recommend that you do. Cleaning and replacing the blades is one thing, but the added benefit of this hydrophobic coating is that you don’t even need to use the wipers in a light rain at highway speeds, and the blades clear more water in a heavy rain. No one uses this as a ‘magic pill’.

Wow, four years ago. Since then I still haven’t used it on my car but I have tried it on my shower doors and seems to help keep the water spots off.

Now there’s a novel use for it. I’m glad you shared that idea. I have a large mirror over the bathroom sink that I’m always splashing. This stuff would probably make the water roll right of instead of drying and making water spots.