Old cars

have there ever been cars manufacture by the name moon

or star?

I don’t think so, but there have been models called Comet, Meteor, Galaxy, Galaxie, Nova, Starliner and Sunliner. Toyota made the Starlet. There’s also Mercury and Saturn.

Edit: I remembered some other possibilities. Oldsmobile made the Starfire and the Jetstar and Pontiac made the Star Chief. Is one of these what you were thinking of?

It seems to me that I remember hearing about the Star motor car company. This company existed back somewhere between 1908 and 1920. In this time period there were quite a few companies that produced automobiles, or more appropriately, horseless carriages. These companies had no connection with Ford, Chrysler or GM makes. Some of these companies produced very few automobiles and only lasted a couple years. Other companies disappeared during the thirties. Some car manufacturers I remember hearing about from my parents included Jackson, Cole, Brush, Doble (a steam powered car), Stanley (another steam powered car), Baker (an electric car), Maxwell (Jack Benny supposedly drove one on his show). These were independent companies. I’m 67 years old and I remember a lot of cars from independents that are now gone–Graham, Hupp, Willys, Kaiser-Frazer, Packard, Studebaker, Nash, Hudson, Crosley, King Midget.

This also happened with televsion receivers. There was the Sparton, Muntz, Hoffman, Setchell-Carlson, Capehart, CBS-Columbia, Traveler, Curtis Mathis, Stewart-Warner. Even bigger manufacturers–Motorola, Sylvania, Zenith, RCA, Westinghouse, Philco have either dropped the TV line or have gone out of business. The same is true with home appliances. Does anyone remember the Gibson refrigerator, the Hamilton, Speed Queen, Norge, Kelvinator or Blackstone washers and dryers? Maybe we are seeing the same thing in the auto industry with the shaky position of GM and Chrysler. There could well have been a Moon car.

Subaru is also the Japanese name for the Pleiades, which is a cluster of stars.

and here’s Moon: