Ok, I am anal retentive, calling the police 5 times for a truck blocking a sidewalk

At a local airport across from where I worked they had portabls bang bang machines that only moved the gees from one side of the runway to the other. The tornado sirens went off, as in a few other experiences we went outside to look for a trnado. Straight line winds instead toppled airplanes and sent a dumpster reeling into my truck causing k4 DAMAGES ALONG WITH PEELING OFF THE ROOF OF OUR WORKPLACE AND UPSETTING A FEW PLQANES

Groan…the mad punster strikes…

I witnessed about 2 dozen geese feeding around the propane cannon. When it went BOOM they didn’t even flinch! There have been many failed solutions such as trapping them and releasing them hundreds of miles away. They are geese! they know how to find their way home! A year round no limit hunting season might make a small dent but that’s about it.

Canada Geese are horrible. Any place with lots of grass and no predators they will find. They seem to eat and process a lot of grass, judging from the volume of droppings. I’ve heard that streets adjacent to golf courses can get unpleasantly slippery, especially when it rains. Now, there would be an undignified way to go. Like slipping on a banana peel, but worse.

have we flipped the original thread to the birds?

or flipped the bird, to the original thread?

@"oldtimer 11"‌

I sincerely hope I don't live near Barkydog or Wheres Rick.

I guess some people like living in a lawless place where people do what they want.

Barky dog was helping an elderly person and was inconvenienced by an ignorant person breaking the law. I guess Handicapped people are a bother to you, its more important that you can park where you want.

We have laws for a reason, even if they don’t benefit you.

Will someone get smart and name a donut franchise "Car 54"

Would the commercial go “Car 54 where are you?” in the original voice over, followed by “Overrrr here!” in the Scooby/Shaggy voice?

Ya know this was a serious issue to me,now I really resent people with so little courtesy that they think the sidewalk is for my truck, not you people that might happen to on a rare occasion be walking up a sidewalk, well If I cannot even walk up a sidewalk without feeling angst about an inconsiderate tard who is breaking the law, impeding my progress because of some god given right to block the sidewalk in violaton of city ordinance with their truck let me know. http://cdn.vanillaforums.com/cartalk.vanillaforums.com/FileUpload/14/aad1db740c7035a3e525782e9bca77.jpg

I helped someone once that was in a wheelchair and had to traverse a bit of grass so I see your point. A wheelchair on grass is very unstable and I almost dumped them because of it.

as I say my prayers tonight, I ll try to find room for your angst, but I ll probably drift off before I get to you. all the homeless and headless take priority.

you asked for opinions and you got them. you did not have the courtesy to ask the person nicely. you did not listen to your wife. I even have my doubts that the wheelchair incident even happened.

how about that families angst? they have to get a tape measure out when they park or that crazy man down the street will call the police. again.

its terrible if they make your life miserable over such a trivial thing. it seems to me that you make your own life miserable and need no help.

maybe they are inconsiderate. calling them tards is not very classy either. your wife has to live there too, were you considerate of her wishes?

honestly, I m glad I m not your neighbor too. I think my working on my jeep in my drive may break some town ordinance too. my neighbors would not call the police on me tho. just as I would not call on them when there grass gets above the height that the town code specifies.

rick, on the other hand, I would like to live near. he amuses me and will listen to reason, except about brakes. I am pretty sure that if something I did annoyed him he would let me know before he sent the police over.

I think if you had let the fellow know of your concerns he would paid more attention and pulled forward a few inches in the interest of peaceful relations.

this is a serious issue because of you. it was a minor issue before you called the police, 5 times.

I ll listen to your rebuttal. but if this is your biggest problem you are a very lucky man.

@Bing

Not to go off topic but a friend in Iowa was talking about those pesky black birds and how they break open garbage bags in no time spewing garbage all over before it is picked up on garbage day. He lives in a fairly exclusive neighborhood but one garbage day morning heard kaboom. When he investigated, one of his elderly neighbors had had enough and took the 12 guage to those 3 or 4 black birds ripping the garbage bag apart. Move along folks, nothing to see here, just taking matter into my own hands.

There’s a much quieter way to deal with this problem.

We had the same problem with neighbors in an adjacent community. Because they have to pay for their trash pick up by the amount they leave, they drive down the road to the end of our road and leave theirs. Needless to say as in this example, the crows have a field day with garbage and used baby diapers too smelly to leave in their own area. We actually got a warden to police the area because of the crow problem and he ticketed the "not so good " neighbors.

In the late 1970s I was riding my motorcycle home from OC, MD. I was on Rte 50 when I saw something hurtling out of the sky. It was falling just about where I would end up if I kept straight. Thee wasn’t much time to take evasive action, and I didn’t want it to hit me on the side of my body. I stood up on the pegs, leaned forward, and took a good sized sea gull off the crown of my helmet. I was pushed into the pegs, and there was no force pushing me off the bike. When I got home, I inspected the helmet. It was in good shape with only a little red on it.

hmmm. I don t mind someone shooting pidgeons, but poisoning is horrible.

one of my former neighbors left little cups of antifreeze in his flower beds. watching my other neighbors cat die a horrible death was very unpleasant.

@wesw, did anyone report the poisoner to the police or animal control? They deserve an earful (at least) from the neighbors about their awful behavior, but hearing it from a 3rd party like animal control might allow you to have tolerable relations with this neighbor while you both live there.

that neighbor is a former one. I did not discover the antifreeze until the neighbor with the dead cat moved. I made a point of kicking over the cups of anti freeze and messed up his flower bed a couple of times doing it. they disappeared after that.

I did not call the authorities though I should have. perhaps I ll ride my bike by there and see if he has returned to his old ways and if so I ll make that call.

thanks JT , I was thinking the same thing myself. if my neighbor had still lived there when I discovered it, I think there would have been violence.

“Ya know this was a serious issue to me,now I really resent people with so little courtesy…”

And yet you didn’t talk to them first as a courtesy, you stated you tried once by got no answer. Given there is room to go around, yes I know what the law says, even for a wheelchair, I’d would have waited until I could talk to the people before I started a fight. I’ve seen these types of thing blow up, and I mean up to the point of shots fired.

If you’d talked to them and still wouldn’t listen then I’d take it up a notch but remember they know where you live, and you might find unexplained flat tires, dead grass, garbage in your lawn, water in your fuel tank, etc.

Yes I understand taking a stand, but are you willing to live near a person who might be off balanced or who might get drunk and do something to you or your family? Yes I’ve turned neighbors in, after talking to them, and after talking to my other neighbors to see if it bothered them. I gave them the courtesy to fix the issue and I knew my other neighbors were bothered by it. In my case a bunch of college kids rented the house next to us and partied almost every night until 3 or 4 am, I talked to them and we did end up calling the police once, then they only partied on the weekend until the early morning, which was fine by us, but technically still against the law.

I’m going to repeat what I stated earlier, just in case the OP missed it:

I think that the way this situation was handled illustrates the saying, “winning the battle, but losing the war”.

Alexander Pope might have seen this issue as fertile ground.

@wesw.
If JT’s method works, why not hire a crew of bikers. Birds, even though most have excellent vision, diving for prey or food have very limited depth of field and often collide with anything in their way. So take advantage of it .