Ok, I am anal retentive, calling the police 5 times for a truck blocking a sidewalk

@‌Barkydog
It that is what the discussion is about…you do have nuggets. :wink:

That’s 50-50 to me. Enough to get irritated on a bad day but don’t think I’d go to war over it. I suppose it depends on just how centered he is in the drive so theres no space to wheel around. Portable sawzall though would take care of the problem but you’d land in jail instead of him.

Not on a destructive vendetta, like I told the guy after he and his wife said I will make your life a living hell, as the neighbor was out there and gave them my address as I had requested to meet the officer, sidewalks are for people not trucks. Read the ordinance “no vehicle is allowed to park within 6” of a sidewalk." Now the pic shows a violation, and so it was written by the officer who said I can see the problem with this and I am going to issue a ticket on the spot.

you never even considered asking nicely?

Knocked on their door once, obviously home no answer. How hard do I need to try to inform someone? http://cdn.vanillaforums.com/cartalk.vanillaforums.com/FileUpload/14/aad1db740c7035a3e525782e9bca77.jpg

so the answer is no…
you certainly made an extended effort to get the police involved, tho it seems they tried to stay out of it.
oh well, to each his own.
I hope it does not escalate.
good neighbors are a blessing.
maybe all those tomatoes I hand out will earn me a pass if I screw up one day
i don t know what else to say.
good luck.

one more question, if a kid s ball came over your fence, would you give it back?

Gosh I get the kids balls and give them back to them, happens all the time, If I see it I throw it back, occasionally they say can you get our ball, I say sure, no problem. Now I put up a new fence last year, neighbor asks if they can put up banners for a birthday party on their side of the fence! Now that was courtesy and I said no problem at all, do not even worry about it. If they even happened to break a window, I would spend the 10 bucks for glass and not worry about it. Stuff happens, ignorance is no excuse for blocking the sidewalk on a chronic basis.

I’m looking for a win win here. The truck looks too big for the space. Is he parked right up tight against the garage door and nowhere else to go? Also the boulevard looks pretty wide like maybe a new sidewalk went in and shortened the drive a little.

@bing He is off 2" from the sidewalk if he pulls all the way forward to the garage, which sometimes happens and that is fine with me.

I sincerely hope I don’t live near Barkydog or Wheres Rick.

There is a reason why some choose to live on several acres of land if they can. Being crowded like sardines in a development brings out the worse in all of us. I have many friends who spend most of their winter in Florida. That’s fine, and like visiting my sister who lived there for forty years, two week stays are acceptable.

Now, after hearing this story, it reminds me of why I stay in northern New England where there is plenty of land available when everyone else leaves. I am not saying either party is at fault. Just saying that living where we do where you are far enough away not to even see your neighbor is a worthwhile solution.

Now, at some point, we will join you in a crowded development when we loose our independence. I am not looking forward to it for all the reasons discussed here. Our neighbors are deer, black bear, chip monks, eagles and other wild life. They are all good for the most part but bad at times as neighbors. They always try to avoid us so there is never a confrontation. But, if I park in the wrong place, I usually am rewarded by bird deification on my truck, an invasion of rodents or a hornets nest. So you can say, my neighbors always have the last say and there is nothing we can do about it.

Being a hermit has it’s rewards.

At this point, it is impossible to put the genie back into the bottle, but I hope that Barkydog now realizes that this situation with his neighbor is turning into one of those cases where one wins the battle, but loses the war.

I think that the moral of the story is to think very carefully about situations that–in the total scheme of things–are not that important, and to consider how unintended consequences can result from good intentions.

Put a neon sign on their driver’s window like the campus partking patrol does.
Put another on their front door.

heck if it matters that much to you call your friendly repo guy with the pickup mounted lift boom to hook up to it and move it anywhere.

Spell checkers make the most wonderful mistakes. Bird defecation becomes bird deification. The kingfisher is a royal bird, but not a god. I live in the second densest city in the US and it’s very easy to get your car messed up by birds if you park under the wrong kind of tree. You might even get deified by a parrot. One of our handful of flocks landed in the tree behind our flat a week or so ago. I knew they were nearby, but had never seen them that close. 50 or more parrots. (more like parakeets) can make an astounding noise perched in a tree. They aren’t as obnoxious as a tree full of grackles because they sound sweeter. Grackles remind me of wind-up toys as they never seem to stop.

I think a flock of grackles is fascinating .they land in some trees and just start talking. to me it sounds like a great debate sometimes, with ebbs and flows. one group seems to make its point then another. information is exchanged it seems, groups seem to shift around and join and leave each other. hellos and good byes are exchanged, then they seem to make up their minds and take off

Not to go off topic but a friend in Iowa was talking about those pesky black birds and how they break open garbage bags in no time spewing garbage all over before it is picked up on garbage day. He lives in a fairly exclusive neighborhood but one garbage day morning heard kaboom. When he investigated, one of his elderly neighbors had had enough and took the 12 guage to those 3 or 4 black birds ripping the garbage bag apart. Move along folks, nothing to see here, just taking matter into my own hands.

MarkM I experienced the parrot invasion you described. They were small and grey as I recall and very noisy. I asked my elderly next door neighbor about them and he said they pass through every 2 or 3 years. Speaking of my former neighbor I can use him to get back on automotive subjects. He had a 1970 Nova 4 door with straight 6. He was nearly deaf. every time he started it he had the accelerator on the floor and left it there! I expected to walk outside one day and find a connecting rod or two laying in my driveway.

Bing When I was working for the National Guard I was in flight operations which had a large bay window overlooking our ramp and the city airport. We had a serious bird problem which was mostly concerning Canada geese. Airport employees would frequently drive their pick-up to various spots and fire 12 gauge blanks into the air to scare the birds. I was looking out the window when the airport truck pulled up and parked. The driver got out pointed the 12 gauge at the sky and boom. Business as usual until a seagull hit the ground! 5 more booms and 5 more seagulls hit the ground. The last one tried to somewhat fly away towards the public road. It somehow made it over the airport fence and almost across the road where it met a 45mph pick-up. I awarded the shooter 5 1/2 confirmed aerial kills so he made ace but had to share the last one with the pick-up driver. I’m proud of myself for managing to incorporate motor vehicles in 2 bird stories.

Hee hee. Good job bringing back around to cars.

@sgtrock21‌, I was ready to cry “fowl” and say the thread had totally flown away, but I can’t really squawk at the moment thanks to your latest contribution. :wink: