Oil pan on vw beetle

The bolts by the transmission where in a groove and the wobbles I used didn’t work I had 3/4 on them

To each their own. I’m just telling you what I would do; snug them by hand and not worry one second over it.

When it comes to small diameter or long extensions, wobble sockets, and so on you might set a torque wrench at 20 Ft. Lbs and it can end up anything at the bolt head. Five, ten, who knows. A lot can get lost in translation through the extensions or bends in the socket.

The same principle applies to horsepower and torque in a rear wheel drive car for instance. X power might enter at the driveshaft yoke and much less X exit at the axles. That 90 degree bend saps some of the total.

I will keep this in mind when he gets the new pan

The access looks to be fairly straight, loss of torque we insignificant in this case. Knowing the difference between 15 and 40 ft/lbs is not something people are born with. Tighten all of the easy access bolts with a torque wrench, you get the feel of how tight these bolts should be and tighten the others to a reasonable amount.

Okay thanks I will try that

Okay one thing I for got to mention there was a part that was broken as soon as I took the pan down it was hanging and I noticed just one bolt holds it in place now I mentioned it to my father in-law and he doesn’t want to get that part so if someone on here knows what I’m saying is that part important I will try to get more information in a bit

If the oil pick-up tube is broken the oil pump may draw air and not oil from the pan. Is this the part that is broken?

No not that it’s plastic it sits right over that

Okay it’s the windage tray it broke right where it bolts on

Well got it all buttoned up just waiting for the liquid gasket to dry says 24 hours hope everything turns out great

Ok off subject for a little how do I know to pick right socket I a socket I was using it was fine till I tightened up the next bolt then the socket began to to round then it wasn’t working I know the saying you get what you pay for but when buying cheap tools is there something to look for like type of metal it’s made from or something

Well I have a leak s.o.b

Well it looks like water is leaking and it was overheating well the heat lamp came on see I really don’t know if there was internal damage he just told me he hit a really big rock I will keep everyone posted

Well I’m seeing a leak now but something seems to be wrong with his heating system and the oil light keeps going on and off