Oil Filters

So here’s the scenerio - A buddy has a 2010 Ford F-250 4x4 - Gas. The dearlership told him that he HAS TO get a Ford Oil Filter when he does the oil change. The reason: “the internal gasket inside the oil filter has been known to get sucked into the engine via the oil pump.” And for this reason, the guy has been buying Ford Brand Oil Filters over the past year. He’s great if you need a house built, not so good with engines. Thoughts please!!!

“Internal gasket?”

I fail to see how buying Ford brand filters hurts anything. Nor why it matters to you.

He can probably get the same Motorcraft filter from Walmart much cheaper. The Ford aftermarket brand is Motorcraft. On the other hand, I fail to believe that the issue described is widespread, or even true.

Appears Ford hasn’t changed anything on the oil fiters for 2010. FL 820S is the oil filter for both gas engines (V8 and V10). While I use Motorcraft oil filters because they are inexpensive and good choices, other brands have worked just as well for me on similar engines. Could not find a single instance with an internet search of someone having a problem as described by the service writer.

Your buddy was more than likey conversing with a person at the dealership known as a service writer. Apparently, only about 1 in 10,000 of these people have a clue mechanically speaking. They poke keyboard keys, lay out lines of BS to cover up their ignorance of the automotive field, and that’s pretty much their reason for existing. It’s a crock.
If this service writer is going to make a statement like that on what is claimed to be fairly common problem then he should ask the writer to produce a TSB (Tech. Service Bulletin) about that.

A couple of years ago my son wound up with some horrible transmission shifting problems after having a transmission service performed. During the 1/2 shift his Lincoln would buck so badly that it would practically throw you out of the seat.
I wound up making the 70 mile trip down there to “discuss” this with the dealer and the service writer there verified, as I played dumb, what he had told my son.
"The bucking and jerking is normal. It takes a few hundred miles for transmission fluid to break in and become normal."
This guy should be fired on spot for being either a supreme idiot or the kind of all BSers.

Sounds completely bogus. However, as long as you don’t buy them from the dealer’s parts dept a genuine Motorcraft oil filter is not expensive. It might cost a couple of bucks more than the cheaper brands (Fram or what not), but I’ve never though a couple bucks is a big deal when you’re dealing with engine oil.

The guy he spoke with at the dealership is making stuff up. He believes his job is to sell product even if he has to be dishonest to do so.

As Jayhawk said, Motorcraft is Ford. Besides, Ford doesn;t actually make their own filters, an “approved” supplier does, to a Ford “specification control drawing” the details of which were actually likely to have been pulled by Ford from the filter manufacturer’s catalog.

However, if your friend sleeps more soundly using Ford “genuine” filters from the Ford dealership, it’s a small price to pay for a sound night’s sleep. There are bigger things in life to worry about.

ANY decent oil filter will do fine. If they INSIST that you MUST use a Ford/Motorcraft filter…then tell them they MUST provide you that filter for FREE…

IMHO, the interval between changing your oil and quality/grade of the oil, is much more important that the type of oil filter used. That being said, whatever makes him feel more comfortable is what he should use. Personally, I only use NAPA Gold filters (Wicks). They’re probaly no better than others, but that’s what I feel comfortable with and have used for years.

I use Wix filters or OEM filters. My local toyota dealer will sell me OEM filters for $4/each if I buy a case…And I can get WIX filters from a local parts store for the same price. Fram at WallMart is also about $4 which I’ll use when I run out of my case of filters.

Mike is correct. Under the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, any mfg who makes the claim that ONLY their brand parts “must” be used, they “must” provide them for FREE.

Hi
I work for Fram Filters. The Magnussen-Moss warranty act prohibits manufacturers from requiring those kinds of parts unless they provide them for free. To prove it, tell your friend to ask the dealership to put that in writing, issue you a written statement that says use must use our filter to maintain your warranty. I am sure they will decline to do so. Using a high quality aftermarket oil filter and keeping your oil change records is all you need to do to keep your warranty in effect.

While that sounds completely bogus, I must ask, what’s the price difference between Ford’s oil filter and a quality oil filter, like Purolator or Wix? (Sorry Fram guy, I’ve had a bad experience with one of your filters.*) If it’s the same price, what’s the harm? Still, if there have been issues with other oil filters, ask to see something about the issue in writing. If the dealership employee can’t produce it in writing, it’s BS.

Motorcraft OEM at Walmart = 3.69; 3.99 at O’Reilly
Purolator Classic at Advance Auto = 3.69
Purolator PureOne = 5.00 from amazon. After a manufacturer rebate, my net cost for 5 will be $13.
Wix at O’Reilly = 5.99

I suspect dealer price is $5-$7 last time I checked several years ago.

Hey Fram guy. I have used your filters for years and still do but you do know that you have an image problem with your end caps, don’t you? Some call them cardboard. Would they more accurately be described as fishpaper or vulcanized fiber or what? TIA.

PS, fishpaper is ok to say if that is what it is; sounds flaky but fishpaper is a tough material.

I bought a Motorcraft from a dealer recently - it was something like $7-8

But I also bought one at a NAPA store recently for $4

They are not cardboard. The end caps are an engineered fiber just like the filter media itself. WIX has made an indusrty of cutting open our filters and theirs and poiting out our end cap material as inferior. They do this because they simply do not want to admit that their filters only remove 85% of the dirt that goes through them while our least expensive filter is at 95%. Honda, Subaru, Bentley, AC Delco all use some kind of engineered fiber end caps. Toyota factory filters use no end caps at all.