Oil Consumption? Bad engine, piston rings?

I am not sure why you feel the need to change the oil when you need to add a quart. Check the oil regularly and when you need a quart add a quart. When the mileage or idiot light on the dash indicates, change the oil. If you end up needing a quart on average of less than 1,000 miles you may have an issue. Oil consumption will vary for a ton of reasons, your data shows that you car is doing fine. Many people would be very happy to have your oil consumption.

2 Likes

Steve, you and about everyone else who reads that statement by the OP is scratching their head.

4 Likes

Those extended oil change regimens (7500, 10k, or 15k) have gotten a lot of people in trouble simply because in the real world it often creates problems.

If you have ever heard about oil sludging or coking, the reason for it is in the above statement.

The powers that be make many recommendations other than engine oil change regimens that are not healthy for the vehicle. Spark plug life, transmission fluid, you name it.

I agree those extended intervals open up all sorts of possible problems

For example . . . we know darn well probably the majority of owners never read the owner’s manual. So there’s a bunch of folks out there that somehow still can’t grasp the concept of having to check their engine oil level periodically.

Now you’ve got an ignorant person, with a 10K oil change interval car, and he fully intends to not check the oil level from one service to the next . . .

Then they ask WHY the low oil level light or the low engine oil pressure light came on. Then when you tell them that the owner is supposed to check the level periodically, they give you the blank stare. Then when you suggest that the owner’s manual actually mentions it, now they think you have insulted them . . . :smirk:

Clarification: the Oil intervals

12-19-2015 5324 - i was able to drive 5324 miles before adding oil
03-25-2016 4390 - i was able to drive 4390 miles before adding oil
07-09-2016 3931 - i was able to drive 3931 miles before adding oil
10-15-2016 3568 - i was able to drive 3568 miles before adding oil
12-02-2016 1144 - i was able to drive 1144 miles before adding oil

intervals getting shorter NOT getting bigger before adding oil

if the intervals are getting shorter wouldn’t this mean something is wrong with the engine?

Yes those numbers very well could mean there is something wrong and potentially very expensively wrong w/this engine. But if so, or what it is exactly, can’t be determined over the internet. Several posters above e.g. @ok4450 have suggested specific tests a shop would do for that. Suggest you have those tests performed then post back with the results.

OP, are my italicized changes to your quote accurate?

Correct

12-19-2015 5324 - i was able to drive 5324 miles before getting oil changed at 1 qt low
03-25-2016 4390 - i was able to drive 4390 miles before getting oil changed at 1 qt low
07-09-2016 3931 - i was able to drive 3931 miles before getting oil changed at one qt low
10-15-2016 3568 - i was able to drive 3568 miles before adding oil at 1 qt low
12-02-2016 1144 - i was able to drive 1144 miles before adding oil at 1 qt low

Perhaps, or the engine may have been under-filled during the last oil change. This is why the oil is changed with the correct oil filled to the correct level at the beginning of an oil consumption test. So far you have had one occurrence of oil consumption close to the warranty repair/replacement threshold for reasons unknown.

But you don’t know the oil level after the oil was changed, correct?

Many mechanics add extra oil after a change. I’ve seen 1.5 quarts extra added by a dealer.

So it’s possible that the oil consumption is not going up, the apparent change could be due to the dealer adding various amounts of oil. Although this scenario is not likely.

I see your concern, but realize you changed the dynamic for that last data point. Honda has a set “oil consumption test” and you should have that done through the dealer to have any hope of a warranty repair.

I always check to make sure OIL is properly filled at dealership before leaving, to correct any errors before leaving.

and I always check my oil on level ground at home.

As I mentioned to the dealership in July, at that time the oil consumption did not really start til I hit 1200 miles after the oil change, which meets their requirement. since it did not meet their 1k miles / 1 qt consumption

now I cannot go over 1144miles without having to add a QT of oil.

I came back from the dealership about 1hr ago, we’re doing another Consumption Test. they did not want to trust my excel spreadsheet , they have to test themselves and come to a conclusion.

I hope my prediction is correct, the way the interval is showing miles. now I should be going less than 1k miles on a QT of oil

Well, that’s acceptable, so all you can do is check, keep records, and go back when it falls below 1000mi/qt.

Absolutely, it is called documentation.

The dealer has to “sell” this repair to the warranty company. The first question asked will be “was an oil consumption test performed?”

Did you schedule that timing belt service yet? Or did you even read my post?

they claim timing belt is not due til 120k miles

maybe cause they would have to cover it under (extended) warranty

The timing belt would only be covered by any warranty if it failed before replacement mileage or replacement time.

You do understand that most (90%?) of extended warranty purchasers do not recoup the purchase price, right?

1 Like