Oil Consumption? Bad engine, piston rings?

With respect, these statements are inconsistent and I find them confusing. Can you clarify?
I should say that none of these amounts of miles between adding a quart is unacceptable.

after Oil change on July 2016 100387miles i noticed oil dropping on the dip stick after i drove 1200miles (after oil change)
when the Van reached 10/15/2016 (103955 mileage) 3568 miles after oil change from July 2016 i noticed Oil dip stick was showing at the lowest level again

I lost ~400 miles from prior oil change, i added oil
now checking the dip stick today 12/2/2016 after only going 1144miles again dip stick is showing lowest level.

i added oil again.

concern, my mileage between oil changes and Now between adding 1 qt, it may get even lower (mileage between adding 1 qt oil)

miles between oil changes or (started adding oil 10/15/2016 instead of taking in for oil change)

12/19/2016 5324
03/25/2016 4390
07/09/2016 3931
10/15/2016 3568
12/02/2016 1144 miles

next ? i bet it will be less than 1k miles

somethings wrong

12/19/2016 supposed to be 12/19/2015

I find it had to believe that you needed an oil change after only 1100 miles. Perhaps your maintenance reminder was not reset after your last oil change, did you check the remaining value on the display after the oil change? Or it was alerting you of maintenance other than an oil change. There is other maintenance required at around 100,000 miles, what was the code shown on the display?

no, i dont need an oil change after 1100miles, what iā€™m trying to say is, the oil is being consumed some how.
the dip stick oil is at the lowest level after only 1100miles.

this is miles between oil changes or the dip stick shows at the lowest level

12/19/2015 5324
03/25/2016 4390
07/09/2016 3931
10/15/2016 3568
12/02/2016 1144 miles

Sorry, I still find these posts very confusing. Just one example, what does ā€œmiles between oil changes or the dip stick shows at the lowest levelā€ mean.

From what I gather here is that when the oil level gets to the add mark, you take it in for an oil change instead of adding a quart of oil, until recently. Is that right? You should just add a quart and get the oil change done when the proper interval is up, or when your oil monitors says too.

Your oil consumption is not excessive yet. Have you seen any evidence of an oil leak. Off hand, Iā€™d think your oil loss is probably due to a leak and not burning.

You have the V6 which has a timing belt and you are due to have the belt changed at 7 years or 105k miles. It is not a warranty issue, it is normal maintenance, just like the oil changes, air filter changes and spark plug replacements.

On your engine, this is a big service, you will want the complete package because it will mean another 7 years/105k miles of trouble free service. Have the spark plugs done at the same time even if they arenā€™t due because they are easier to get at during this service and it could save you some money in the long run.

While they have everything apart, they can check and replace any/all your oil seals for very little additional cost. I recommend that you have this done. Once this is done, I expect you will see a drop in your oil loss.

Edit: be sure to change the water pump at that time also, usually included in the complete timing belt package. This will also count as your coolant change too.

I too am still extremely confused. If I understand this new information correctly, youā€™re getting way over 3,000 miles to the quart of oil. Or between the points where your oil level monitor system is telling you that you have 20% life left. Iā€™m not sure.
The 1144 doesnā€™t fit in anywhere, but Iā€™d guess that Nevada is right about the monitor not having been properly reset.

You should know that the oil monitoring system does not perform any actual analysis on your oil. It runs your mileage, engine operation data, and perhaps a few other variables through an algorithm and calculates based on those what your remaining oil life is. Donā€™t confuse this with the number of miles youā€™re getting between quarts of oil.

OP, you are asking the various experts here to guess at the meaning of your posts. That will not lead to any good results.

If English is not your native language, get someone to help you translate.

Your extended warranty . . .

Genuine Honda extended warranty?

aftermarket extended warranty?

Check your oil every time you fill up. On most dip sticks there is a full mark and an add mark. Once the dip stick is at the add mark, add a quart of oil. If you have to add a quart every 1,000 miles or so, you are within most manufacturers specs. Once you hit 5,000 miles change the oil and filter.

Every place that I ever worked and in my own shop with any oil consumption complaint a full compression test is always done after a visual inspection to make sure there are no external leaks.

That means a dry test followed by a wet test. If the latter test bumps the former numbers up by a fair amount then you can assume a piston ring issue.
E,G, If a 175 dry cylinder jumps to 195 on the wet test then thereā€™s a ring problem.

You may have done all of the oil changes by the book but that does not necessarily mean the oil change regimen is good enough. There are many factors involving the life of that oil and what can happen is that the oil control rings on the pistons will stick in the grooves (or lands) in the pistons due to oil coking. That in turn means the oil rings canā€™t ā€œbreatheā€ so to speak and wipe the cylinder walls clean of motor oil on the piston downstrokes.
Hope that helps and good luck.

thank you for all the responsesā€¦

clarification:

2009 Honda Odyssey Full Manufacture warranty til 120k miles purchased at time of sale. ALL scheduled maintenance has been performed on vehicle, warranty requires it.

I probably used the wrong verbiage. whatā€™s happening:

Over the course since 2009 I have noticed Iā€™ve been taking my van in for an oil change, service time between oil changes keeps getting shorter.
Dealership says I should be getting 7500 miles between each oil change (which is correct if not losing oil)

Every time i check the dip stick i would notice oil level at lowest level line on the dip stick, instead of adding oil i would drive it in and get an oil change.

I started to keep track of the miles the van was able to go before oil changes. Meaning, when I check oil dip stick and the oil line was at lowest level I would take Van in for an oil change.

As Iā€™ve been tracking the progress of oil changes vs mileage used between oil changes. I noticed I was losing mileage between oil changes.

Instead of changing oil every 7500 miles (or some would say 3k with their vehicles) I would have to change my oil or add regularly.

The oil is being consumed, but where. But its not just being consumed some how the
interval miles between oil changes or adding additional oil is getting shorter.

Meaning: right now I only drove 1144miles and I have to add additional 1qt oil.
2 months ago i was able to drive 3568miles before adding oil
5 months ago i was able to drive 3937 miles before adding oil
8 months ago i was able to drive 4390 miles before adding oil

see the difference and what is happening. The mileage interval is getting shorter as time goes on.
In the next w months will i have to add additional oil at 500 miles from today, time will tell?

this is what Iā€™m trying to get across. Its consuming oil, but its not a typical problem of an engine consuming oil.
This is different from a typical oil consumption.

If you can demonstrate there is smoke from the tail pipe at anytime, specifically during start-up after sitting overnight you have something to repair. Aside from that an oil consumption test is the only thing that will get you a repair. You can pay several hours labor for a compression test but that is not likely to go anywhere, it is unrelated to oil consumption.

Your vehicle being out of warranty is not in your favor. There is some flexibility with oil consumption when dealing with the manufacture, not so with extended warranties. Manufacture brand extended warranties are the best but they are handled by a separate division of bean counters. Your engine must meet the oil consumption threshold and they will likely send an inspector to the dealer to verify the problem.

suggestions from new clarification:

thank you for all the responsesā€¦

clarification:

2009 Honda Odyssey Full Manufacture warranty til 120k miles purchased at time of sale. ALL scheduled maintenance has been performed on vehicle, warranty requires it.

I probably used the wrong verbiage. whatā€™s happening:

Over the course since 2009 I have noticed Iā€™ve been taking my van in for an oil change, service time between oil changes keeps getting shorter.
Dealership says I should be getting 7500 miles between each oil change (which is correct if not losing oil)

Every time i check the dip stick i would notice oil level at lowest level line on the dip stick, instead of adding oil i would drive it in and get an oil change.

I started to keep track of the miles the van was able to go before oil changes. Meaning, when I check oil dip stick and the oil line was at lowest level I would take Van in for an oil change.

As Iā€™ve been tracking the progress of oil changes vs mileage used between oil changes. I noticed I was losing mileage b

Just a thought - after you get an oil change, do you check the oil level when you get home (within a day or two)? Thereā€™s a slight possibility that it is not getting filled to the top line on the dipstick. And are you checking it once a week, or at each fill up?

Therefore paying for oil changes you did not need. Just add enough oil to bring it back to full mark.

2 Likes

i appreciate all the comments / suggestions:

for some reason everyone is stuck on the consumption (which is a problem but this is NOT the problem, thereā€™s a reason why the vehicle is consuming more oil than needed)

. The main problem is the mileage interval between oil changes and/or adding oil.

yes the engine is some how consuming oil but why, itā€™s not consistent.

Now if I had to add oil every 1k that would be one thing, but I do not have to.

The main problem is the mileage interval between oil changes and / or adding oil
which i tried to make clear in the new clarification.

Iā€™m headed to the dealership to get this cleared. since the car is still under FULL manufacture warranty

for the individuals who said I have to change every 3k
http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil/OilChange/
The old standard of 3,000 miles is woefully out of date and no longer applies to most cars. Many cars, even older models, can be driven up to 5,000, 7,500, 10,000, and even 15,000 miles before needing an oil change.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

The majority of automakers today call for oil changes at either 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and the interval can go as high as 15,000 miles in some cars.

That should not be confused with how far a car should go before needing a quart of oil. These are two entirely different things. In addition, a car does not need its oil changed every time the oil level drops to the FILL line on the dipstick. It only needs a quart added.

I personally do not subscribe to oil change regimens longer than 5,000 miles, but that has absolutely nothing to do with how far the engine should go before the dipstick should be checked and oil added. The dipstick should be checked at least once a week and a quart added whenever the level gets about to the FILL line.

2 Likes

Can I assume that the OP will not buy the additional warranty on his next car? Wanting to get his moneyā€™s worth from that ā€œinsuranceā€ seems to be causing a great deal of angst. And if properly maintained (including regularly checking the oil level and topping it off) the engine would likely run trouble free for 250,000 miles.