Oil Consumption? Bad engine, piston rings?

I’m sure you also understand a ton of ppl get ripped off by extended warranties if they do not know how to negotiate.
I paid $1300 8yrs 120kmiles extended warrant
$162.5 a year extra to be totally covered. Not bad

Don’t have the timing belt replaced now, it makes no sense to replace the timing belt if you are expecting and engine repair or replacement. If they have to replace the pistons and rings ask for a new timing belt, water pump and spark plugs at that time. You should only have to pay for the parts but some of my co-workers try to get an additional 1/2 hour of labor.

awesome advice, thank you

Quite a few years ago (before you joined the forum), we had a query from a woman who, when told that she should read her Owner’s Manual, informed us that “only an engineer could possibly understand an Owner’s Manual”. :confused:

The other amazing thing about our exchange with that woman was how she started her conversation with us online. Her statement/question was something along these lines:
My Suzuki’s Check Engine Light has been “on” for the past 16 years. What is wrong with it?
:confounded:

1 Like

Automobile owners manuals have become verbose legalistic tripe. The answers to pertinent questions that owners have are either not there or are lost in pages of vague corporate/techno speak. But for the uninitiated it’s all there is and that’s a shame. How can anyone quote chapter and verse on the need to follow the factory manuals schedule for oil/filter change yet laugh at the schedule ignoring regular service for automatic transmissions.

FWIW, I bought into Alldata long, long ago because it was cheaper than updating my MItchell and Motors manuals and as soon as I became familiar with finding the information that I needed and printing the pages as needed it became evident that the printed manuals were a great waste of time. In a few minutes I could find and print fuse box diagrams with circuit charts and the wiring diagram for it to take to the car. I doubt if the average new car owner could find the fuse box diagram in their owners manual and locate the fuse that powers their cell phone charger in an hour. Few car owners will make a second attempt at finding answers to their questions in the glove box.