Oil Capacity and Thermostat Location Question

The next thing I plan on doing for maintenance for my '88 Cressida (5M-GE 2.8l inline six) is change the thermostat, which doesn’t seem to be working. I’ll also be changing the oil on it as well, since I’m sure the previous owner did it over 5k miles ago.

Would someone be able to tell me what the oil capacity, with a new oil filter, would be for the Toyota 5M-GE?

The other question is whether the thermostat housing is near the radiator on this car or is it somewhere else?

As always, thanks for your help, folks.

If you don’t have an owner’s manual, you need one. Try www.Books4Cars.com, which has a nice selection of used books at very reasonable prices.

If you’re going to work on the car yourself, consider purchasing a service manual, as well.

Between these two books you will find answers to just about any question you have about your Cressida.

The thermostat is mounted in the engine, at the end of one of the large radiator hoses, usually the upper hose. There is a right way and a wrong way to install a new thermostat. Pay attention to the orientation of the old one when you remove it.

What makes you think the thermostat is not working? Symptoms?

If there is no information anywhere on the car concerning the oil capacity, after draining the old oil and installing a new filter, pour in 4 quarts, start the engine, let it run for 30-60 seconds, shut it off, wait a few minutes, then check the oil. Add oil, if necessary, until the dipstick reads “full.”