Odd keyless remote problem

Very odd problem I have a 2000 Mustang. The keyless remote works in cold weather, but not in warm or hot weather. At moderate temperatures, the remote sometimes unlocks one door, but not the other. Please help.

Do you hear a click when it is hot and the doors don’t unlock?

Yes, I hear a click when the weather is hot, but the door does not unlock.

The problem is most likely due to a dirty switch in the driver’s door. The switch activates the passenger door actuator. There may be faulty wires in the door jamb also causing this but I would suspect the switch first.

OK I’ll take your word for it. But because I have a curious mind, how does temperature affect the actions of the dirty switch?

PS I can sometimes see the knob/post trying to move up when I click the remote, but it doesn’t make it.
Also, I’d have more confidence in the answer if someone could tell me how temperature change might be affecting this.
Thanks again.
Richard

It sounds more like a mechanical binding problem. As it gets hotter, things expand and the lock linkage gets bound up or stuck some how. It may be as simple as take it apart and lube it up.

Just another small truth. You may never understand everything electrical or mechanical. Nobody else will be able to do it either. My computer starts every time I push the button when the weather is warm and doesn’t work so well in a cold room. I will never know why.

Either that of the electric actuator that physically unlocks the door is failing and is unable to develop sufficient force to move the lock at higher temperatures. I would probably take apart the door, make sure everything was moving freely and lubricated, then verify the voltage going to the actuator. If that all looked OK, I would probably try a replacement actuator (I assume they are not very expensive).

“OK I’ll take your word for it. But because I have a curious mind, how does temperature affect the actions of the dirty switch?”

When switch connections are dirty or there is a bad connection in the wiring then the surounding temperature can effect the connection in how well it makes the contact. The symtoms you stated are the classic case for this kind of trouble.

OK This is making more sense to me. I appreciate the help.