So I left my house tonight to head to the gym, and after approximately 3km, I see the o/d light is flashing and suddenly the engine cuts out, I start it up and continue driving, it revs really high and is stuck in permanent overdrive!
The gym was around 20km away, so I decided to cancel my workout and just drive back home. It cut out a few times, and I had to put the car in park and restart it.
These codes were there before this o/d issue started occurring:
I went to a shop today, and the kid tried to run OBD→ but the code reader couldn’t pull up any codes (?)
When idling in park, the O/D light doesn’t come on, but as soon as I put into D/R/1/2 → O/D light starts flashing!
Some other symptoms:
• The red battery light came on (brand new battery)
• The dashboard lights brightened and dimmed randomly (must be some sort of electrical issue)
• There is water sloshing about in the passenger footwell→ which may have triggered a short? (Hope my PCM ≠ wrecked)
• Car starts, but wont run on a steep incline , but on a flat it runs fine , tank was full.
• I do remember that there was coolant leaking onto this one connector
What are the quick easy things I should check first?
- Input speed sensor?
- Vehicle Speed Sensor?
I tested the O/D switch→ its fine.
No I haven’t changed the transmission fluid, since I got the car at 160,000km and followed the advice of my mechanic (which many agreed with) to not bother changing it since it may cause more damage.
I plan on getting another car in the winter (will have some cash inflow at that point) → but this protégé will have to do until then.
What do you think it is ?
Thanks for the sincere help.