Now on sale at Harbor Freight!

oh yeah, I meant angle grinder. Bench grinder I might get there because they don’t spin all that fast (at least not for what I use them for). But I don’t like the idea of a high RPM wheel of slicing being attached to something HF sourced at the lowest possible price point. :wink:

And that’s not even worth it, because for $30 more you can get a Wen drill press that’s much better.

1 Like

Stanley also bought Black & Decker / DeWalt several years ago.

As a longtime B&D and Craftsman buyer, when my incredibly well made, 30 year old B&D Air Station finally gave up the ghost I noticed that it’s no longer available and parts are no longer available for my 30 year old Craftsman lawn mower.

Since I’m “only” in my 70’s I’m hoping they don’t go the cheaper/crappier route 'cause I don’t plan on replacing my replacement until I’m well into my 100’s. :grinning:

1 Like

I agree, you have to be careful what you buy there. I wouldn’t buy any power tools although they do have different grades now. I have a welding cart and hydraulic press that I bought there and no problem surprisingly. I expected to have to do some modification but actually just fine. It’s something I would not have normally bought because of lack of need but for $100 why not? The $10 disposable spray gun seemed to be ok too. Not Binks quality but $10 instead of $500. So just be careful and don’t expect much.

I will have to say though I am re-evaluating based on new revelations. I ordered some mower bearings and the choice was $3.50 for Chinese or $5.50 for Japanese. I ordered the $5.50 bearings. Happy Pearl Harbor Day.

Before I retired, I worked for a distribution transformer manufacturer in the three phase department. Early on, they did some testing to determine which torque wrenches would be most cost effective for the assembly line. They were used constantly for 8-16 hours a day, always set at 15 ft/lbs, so 3/8" drive click type were used.

They tested models from Craftsman, Matco and Harbor Freight. The Craftsman and Matco’s were about $80 each, the HF just over $20 with shipping, no local HF. They were checked for calibration every two weeks and all lasted about three months before they would go out of spec. All three could be repaired, but the cost to repair and recalibrate them cost over $20.

The final decision was to buy large lots of the HF torque wrench’s and just replace them when they went out of calibration.

Edit: years later they found a T handle with a fixed torque (not adjustable) that released when it reached 15 ft/lbs instead of clicking. It was even cheaper, faster to use and it also lasted about 3 months before going out of cal. That is what they use now.

How about this whale?

1 Like

I use to own an earlier version of that vehicle…but now where near as nice.

That car won’t fit in my garage.

That looks a lot like my 73 that I had but it was brown. That goes with the grass a lot better than brown. Yeah I paid $800 for it for a commuter car for my wife to school. Small cars were way too high priced back then due to gas prices. Nice car though. When I traded I got $1000 for it but had done some body work and painting on it and needed maintenance. My neighbor Saab owner called it the Pimpmobile. I think he was just jealous.

I have an affinity for those old land yachts and that one is slick.

On the downside it looks like OK City bomber Tim McVeigh’s car he was driving when arrested./

Right down to no license plate.

I thought I recalled that McVeigh was driving a Mercury Grand Marquis, not a Lincoln, and these videos appear to support my recollection.

Timothy McVeigh’s car gets display in Oklahoma City National and Museum (2014-09-15) - Bing video

1 Like

80yr-old female here. I get LOTSA stuff at Harbor Freight, the most recent was a moving blanket for $4.99. Had a dining table painted “fancy/artfully,” and didn’t want ANYTHING to mar the surface when I brought it home. I always find goodies there. Don’t need anything to last more than 10yrs, I’d guess.

1 Like

Try your U Haul store. I bought moving blankets in the past from them for $1. Don’t know where they were made.

Thanks! Hope I NEVER need another one.

Harbor Freight had the better size and thickness.

We rented a U-Haul to move the dining set.

Home Depot had the best deal on the size boxes I wanted (clearing out garage clutter).

In case no one else mentions it, a Mohel knife MIGHT be used for a circumcision, but I doubt it looks like that one!

I have a 35 y.o. HF air compressor, like this:

I had to replace the motor capacitor ~20 years ago.
Replaced the electrolytic with a larger oil filled one that hangs on the outside.
Changed the oil a couple times.

I also have a 1/2" impact wrench and 3/8 air ratchet of the same vintage.
Use them once or twice a year, mostly to remove wheels.

Inherited from my late brother a chain saw chain sharpener.
Added a foot switch, which makes it much easier faster to use.

Spark plug cleaner I haven’t used in 30 years.

You still have to file down the rakes by hand or it won’t cut very well. I use the Stihl sharpener that does the tooth and rake in one operation.

Why do you think I don’t know that?
If I don’t gave a detailed dissertation on chain sharpening you assume I don’t know?
Mansplaining at its worst…

2 Likes

Because an electric rotary sharpener only does half the job. Sorry to question your manhood.

Easy , Mr. Circuit . Bing did not know if you knew that or not .

At any rate maybe someone might see his post and decide to purchase the Stihl sharpener .

So? This is Car Talk, not Chainsaw Talk.
I don’t know the knowledge base of anyone posting on here, but I don’t take it upon myself to lecture about what they might not know.

Seems ironic that you are OK with drifting off-topic to the ins and outs of chain sharpening, yet you appoint yourself the Guardian against adding to old threads or asking hypothetical questions.

2 Likes