Non-Start When Hot

1992 GeoPrizm 4Dr Auto AC; made on a Carolla assembly line;

New Starter; New Batteries; good cables& connections;

Most of time: Starts fine; no whrrr or rachet, etc.

But: When driven for one hour; it will not start; the electric fan goes on, but there is no sound out of the starter.

Possibilities:

Dirty air filter

Bad engine ground connection

Fuel not reaching the injectors

Loose connection in the ignition system

Maybe even faulty emissions systems

Sounds like the ‘new’ starter is bad. Was it brand new, or a re-manufactured. Either way, should still have a warranty.

Another thought: When this happens again, try putting the car in neutral, then try starting it. It could be the neutral starter switch is mis-aligned or broken.

CLARIFICATION: WHEN ENGINE COOLS OFF, THE STARTER ENGAGES INSTANTLY AND STARTS THE CLEANLY AND STRONGLY.
Thanks for listing some possibilities: WITH RESPONSES.

1. Dirty air filter…AIR FILTER IS NEW.
  2. Bad engine ground connection…GROUND CONNECTION GOOD
  3. Loose connection in the ignition system…CONNECTIONS CLEAN AND SOLID
  4. Fuel not reaching the injectors
    …WHY WOULD THE FUEL NOT REACH INJECTORS “ONLY WHEN ENGINE IS HOT”??
    …THE STARTER DOES NOT EVEN TRY TO TURN OVER;
    …AND THERE IS NO THIRSTY FOR FUEL SOUND.
  5. Maybe even faulty emissions systems.
    …WHAT WOULD SEND A SIGNAL TO DISABLE THE STARTER, FROM THE EMISSIONS SYSTEM?
  1. STARTER IS NEW.
    CLARIFICATION: WHEN ENGINE COOLS OFF, THE STARTER ENGAGES INSTANTLY AND STARTS THE CLEANLY AND STRONGLY. STARTS REPEATEDLY UNTIL I DRIVE IT FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR.
  2. I tried in neutral, and it will not start - when it is hot. Starts fine (and repeatedly) after it has sat for a couple of hours.

There is probably a engine temperature sensor, which leads to the electric fan being engaged - when I turn the ignition switch. But I cannot think how this (or something) approx cuts out the Starter. I am hunting for a wiring diagram.
Thanks for the help.

“1. STARTER IS NEW.” Do you mean it was doing this and you replaced the starter and it is still doing the same thing?

Suggestion remove and clean each end of all battery cables.

If you are listening carefully when it is not working, is there any “click” when you try to start it?