Car wont start when hot

I drive a '98 Kia Sephia with 120K miles. Overall it’s been a great student car and has had no major troubles taking me bi-monthly from NY to Boston to visit my boyfriend. However in the last 6 months I have noticed that it has trouble starting when it’s hot (after 2 hrs driving, I pull off the highway to get cheaper gas in Mass). Starter turns over, but doesn’t catch–and last week it wouldn’t start at all until a couple nice men helped me get it going with a running start! Once the car cools, it starts no problem. Is this a straight forward replace my starter, or could there be something else going on (throttle sensor, etc?)

Sounds like some electronic part is failing due to heat. Get some canned electronic coolant, spray on various electronics under the hood next time it happens and see if that helps. Or get a clean rag, soak in cool water, and carefully lay it on different parts. Remove and a let it take the heat away. If cooling off one part helps the car start then that is part that is failing.

hi a few things the stater can get hot from the heat and after cooling down it works.

I doubt if it is your starter. Starter turns over, but doesn’t catch

I would guess a fuel problem (fuel line getting to hot somewhere possibly complicated by a weak fuel pump) or a ignition problem (coils don’t like being hot).

To check the ignition buy one new spark plug. Carry the plug with you and the next time it does not start, get out and pull one plug wire off (pull on the socket part not the wire) put the new plug on that wire and hold the threads of the plug tight against the engine block while you have someone try to start the car. You should see a bright blue spark, and if you are not holding the plug with an insulated tool, you will also see stars! This can rule out a spark problem.