03 grand am

WHEN THE CAR IS HOT AND I GET BACK IN TO START IT SOMETIMES TAKES 10 TO 15 MIN TO RESTART. ITS LIKE GAS IS NOT COMMING THROUGH. HAD THE FUEL FILTER CHANGED BUT DIDNT HELP ANY CLUES?

Usually these symptoms are indicative of a failing ignition system, often the coil (coil pack).

Have you checked for spark?

Is It Really Trying?

This never happens when it’s (been sitting several hours) cold?
What happens when you turn the key to the “start” position?

Can you hear the engine cranking over like it is trying to start?
Does it just click?
Is there no sound at all?
What happens that’s different in 10-15 minutes?
Are you trying to start it during that time?
Does it run just fine after it starts?

Please describe what it does and what you are hearing.

One thing that can cause a hot no-restart is a defective Crankshaft Position Sensor. When this happens, they’ll be no ignition or fuel injector operation. Once the sensor cools down enough it will function again and the engine will start.

Tester

WHEN THE CAR IS COLD IT STARTS RIGHT UP.IT WILL TURN OVER BUT ITS LIKE SOMETHING ISNT CATCHING. SO I LET IT SIT A LITTLE THEN KEEP TRYING. THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN IT WILL JUST START.AFTER IT STARTS IT RUNS FINETHERE IS NO CLICKING

I DONT WORK ON THE CAR MYSELF.SHOULD I ASK MY TECH TO DO THAT?

Turn off your Caps Lock - typing in all caps is the equivalent of YELLING! and I doubt that you mean to be yelling.

You can ask your mechanic to check the ignition system, being clear that it is a hot restart problem. The difficulty there is that you said “sometimes” so I’m going to guess it is intermittent and if it doesn’t malfunction for your mechanic they might not be able to find the problem.

It will be fuel or spark. To find out about spark without always needing your mechanic around, ask him/her if s/he will sell you one spark plug for your car and show you how to pull a plug wire and hook up the extra plug to check for spark. The next time it won’t start - check. If you get spark you know to go to fuel.

For those taking their cars to a shop to be repaired, let me make a general suggestion. Tell the technician in the best detail you can what the symptoms are, what the car is doing or not doing and under what set of conditions. Allow him to do the diagnosis.

Taking your car to a shop and telling him what to change, test, or fix will more often than not cause both you and him to have an unsatisfactory experience and will often result in unnecessary expense.

Please don’t ask us what’s wrong with your car and then take it to the shop and tell them what to fix.

I dont do that with my tech.but sometimes i dont understand what hes trying to tell me.Just thought i would have a better understanding if i posted here.

I got the impression from your posts that you were planning to suggest to him what to check and/or change. If I misunderstood, I apologize.