Noise Front End/Engine?

HELP. I have a brand new 2008 Chevy Equinox, 334 miles. When I start the car and run it to 15mph there is a bump, or a low muffled bang sound coming from the car. It will not occur again, even after I come to a stop and start again. Just a one time event, everytime I use the car for the first time. It will also do it again if the car has been sitting for a long time. It sounds like it is coming from the front driver side. The wheel is always straight when the noise occurs, on a straight run. Is this serious? Big investment here and now I am worried.

It’s new,under warranty, so get it back to the dealer and let them fix it.

The answer to your question is spelled w-a-r-r-a-n-t-y. You do not have to know what the cause is, and it is the dealership’s responsibility to determine the cause and to rectify it. Even if you did offer a diagnosis, it would be ignored because the manufacturer requires that the dealership follow certain standard diagnostic protocols.

So, I recommend that you:

1. Make an appointment with the dealer’s service department.

2. Park your car at the service department the night before your appointment.

3. On the day of your appointment, make the service manager accompany you to the car so that he can hear the noise when you start the engine.

Whether it is serious or not is difficult to figure out, based on the description, but you should not tolerate something like this on a new vehicle. Follow the steps above and hopefully they will find the source of the problem on the first try. If not, then read the terms of the Lemon Law in your state to see how and when you qualify for relief under that statute. Your warranty coverage and the text of the Lemon Law should both be sitting in your glove compartment.