No Spark 98 Buick LeSabre 3.8

98 Lesabre. The other day I drove it with not problems. I got to my destination no problems whatsoever. It sat for a few hours till I was ready to leave. Would not fire at all. The gas gauge doesn’t work the best. I figure it has a half tank I go by miles on a tank about 400 some and by the gauge. When it says half its about empty. It read 200 with 3/4 tank. But anyways I put in 2.5 gallons. Nothing. I did a quick test by shooting starting fluid into the car. Nothing. I did a spark test. Nothing on every cylinder.

Today we did some tests on the coils. They all are good. Had around 5 amps on the top and around .5 amps on the bottom. This engine 3.8 engine has 3 separate coils, so for all 3 to have gone bad very unlikely anyways. I did confirm the ignition control module is not the problem. I also have a 3.8 Park Av and the part is exactly the same. So I switched the two. I drove the park today with the one that was on the Lesabre. So its not that.

Can a cam or crank sensor be tested and if so without removing? Any suggestions?

My buddy has a tester and did a test. I came up nothing for the cam or crank sensor or coils. Only thing that came up was a sensor on the cat converter and a coolant sensor. The sensor on the cat converter was changed but the light never went off. I would have it reset and after a while it would come back on. My friend said something about the coolant sensor may be triggering the other one off or something. Anyways prob not related to the no spark.

A bad Crankshaft Position sensor is a common cause of no starts . The signal from this sensor goes to the PCM or ignition module that switches the ignition coil(s) on and off. In ignition systems with a single coil and distributor, a bad coil or a cracked distributor cap or rotor can prevent the spark plugs from firing.

Tester

2 Likes

Yep, I had a crank sensor just leave me high and dry on the freeway one morning. (Actually I had another one go on another car.) Towed to a shop and they got zero readings. The thing had a crack in it and had it in another shop to check it the day before and they didn’t catch it. But then had a wobble in the balancer so then it was $500 before I got out of there. Funny thing is I was trying to find a miss on hard acceleration. These were 3.8s.

My understanding of the cam sensor is that the engine will continue to run until stopped, and then no go. So suppose could be that but cheap anyway.

maybe something here might help or give you a idea.
Part 1 -How to Troubleshoot a No Start (GM 3.8L) (troubleshootmyvehicle.com)

1 Like

Both parts combined cost about $20 ebay.

Read the section for Check Engine Light.

https://www.1aauto.com/content/articles/bad-or-failing-crankshaft-position-sensor-symptoms

Tester

According to that if you were to shoot starting fluid into the engine it should fire if a bad crank shaft sensor. That is confusing me.

Difficult Starting or No Starting

It might be hard to get your engine started without the fuel it needs or without proper timing. If the crankshaft sensor has failed completely, and isn’t sending a signal to the ECU at all, then the computer won’t send any fuel to the injectors. This will leave you unable to start the car.

But I also did have a 91 Buick that had a crankshaft sensor go out also. And if I recall correctly it would not start. It was a while ago.

NO I RECALLED INCORRECTLY. IT DID STILL RUN. JUST POORLY. I AM QUESTIONING IF IT IS EITHER CAM OR CRANK SENSORS SINCE IN ALL MY DEALING WITH BAD SENSORS, 5 IN MY LIFETIME. EVER ONE KEPT RUNNING JUST RAN POORLY.

The computer/module relies on the signal from the crank sensor to determine if it should provide fuel/ignition system operation when cranking the engine to start it.

If the computer/module doesn’t see that signal, it see’s no reason to operate those systems.

Tester

1 Like

So does that mean a bad crank sensor will still give spark but no gas? Since I shot plenty of starting fluid twice into it, it should have fired at the least if not ran for a few seconds.

Codes that came up were
P0138 O2 SENSOR
P0125 INSUFFICIENT COOLANT TEMP, maybe a bad temp sensor
P0440 GAS CAP FUEL EMISSIONS CRAP.
nothing to cause a no spark.

I would strongly caution against buying cheap knockoff car parts on Ebay, especially parts which can cause engine damage or leave you stranded when they fail. Only use brand-name parts, such as Standard Motor Products, Intermotor, Beck/Arnley, Delphi, AC Delco, Denso, etc. I would recommend buying car parts from RockAuto, as they generally sell quality parts for a fraction of what you’d pay at the local AutoZone/O’Reilly.

It depends on the vehicle.

A bad crank sensor can cause no spark, and will prevent the fuel pump and injectors from operating.

Tester

I have never had a problem with parts on ebay. I have purchased many dozens of them over the last few years.

case closed. It was the crank sensor after all. Thank you for your help. Tester that my friend has must not be that great or because the sensor was totally shot it could not read it?

2 Likes

Crank sensors could use a coil pickup, or a hall effect pickup. Do you know which type your LeSabre uses?

No I do not.

According to what I see, it uses a hall-effect sensor. Suggest to Google how to test that type of sensor.

WTF cartalk? I asked why the code was not picked up that is offensive?

Hello,

This is an automated message from Car Talk Community to let you know that your post was removed.

Your post was flagged as inappropriate : the community feels it is offensive, abusive, or a violation of our community guidelines.

This post was flagged by the community and a staff member opted to remove it.

I have a Neon and have had both cam and crank sensors go out twice.  But whatever Dodge did they do not cause a no start.  Just runs like crap for many miles.  Had a cam or crank sensor going out on a vacation trip.  Forget which.  Drove all the way to the destination hundreds of miles.  Part was under warranty so stopped at auto zone in Georgia.  Changed it in the motel parking lot.  Much easier locations for replacing than the Buick.

But why did his sensor not pick up a code for that?

Your use of the word for feces.