No Reverse

Hello everyone I have a 1999 chevy malibu with a 2005 chevy impala motor in it. Recently I put my car into reverse and it made a hard clunk and went into reverse. Later on that day I tried to go into reverse and it will not reverse. I had to have 3 people push my car back in neutral. However, in neutral I am able to press on the gas and drive forward… This is an automatic transmission. Any suggestions or am I just screwed and need a brand new transmission?

Sounds like the linkage is out of whack for some reason. If neutral is now drive…is it ever truly in park ?

As far as I know it is truely in park… It doesnt go any where

“Hello everyone I have a 1999 chevy malibu with a 2005 chevy impala motor in it.

Yeah I think whoever did the engine swap boogered up the trans shift linkage in a way that took a while to manifest itself.

sounds like your linkage is just out of adjustment because it was loosely secured. no big deal

Yea i didnt have the engine swapped the person that I bought it from did and I have had the car for about 6 months and it just started doing it

Can anyone tell me how I would go about re-adjusting the linkage?

are you willing to crawl under the car and get dirty? youll have to jack it up on one side or raise it some how. it helps to have some one above to move the shifter so that you can get your bearings. once you see where the bolt or other type of fastener is loose, you put the shifter in park , pull the transmission lever that comes out of the tranny into the park position, usually all the way forward or back and then retighten the fastener. make sure you do it in such a way that it will not loosen again. there are many types of assemblies, but that is the general idea, you ll have to see exactly what you have. maybe some one here knows exactly how your chevy works, I m a ford guy…

Have a Tranny Shop inspect the linkage and the transmission for proper operation…

oh. don t crawl under your car with just a jack supporting it. people die that way. block it up somehow so that if the jack fails the car won t crush you. if you have a lot of lumber around you can make a make shift ramp and just drive the car up on it. make sure to block your wheels since you don t know if it will roll on you

Any way to tell for sure that this is the problem?

not without the car up on a shop hoist to test all the perameters of the cable, connections, levers, etc.

in English…, crawl under and look